Saturday, November 22, 2008

"just right"


No, this isn't part of the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
But have you ever been to an event or a ceremony or something like that and thought, "It was just right." Meaning that it absolutely fit the people being honored. Well, that was Jennifer and Billy's wedding this afternoon. I was worried that it would be too cold since it was overcast and never budged much above 60 today in Austin and sometimes because of some weird humidity factor here I think days like this can feel colder than when it's actually in the 40s. Anyway, I worried that Jennifer would be too cold - she's a whisper of a thing. I worried that none of us would wear the right thing - an outdoor wedding at 3:00 p.m. in November...what do you wear? The answer is: whatever seems fallish and feels good because it's not really about what you wear. And no one is really looking anyway because all eyes are on the bride who in this case was positively stunning.
The gathering was small - like a family gathering. Billy was beaming. Jennifer beams regularly. I've never seen Billy really beam. They played a song that Billy had written for Jennifer - now forever called "Jennifer's Theme". Chris and Jim Martin made sure that the ceremony kept flowing and added in their reflections and wishes about and for Jennifer and Billy. Friends read Shakespeare, Rilke, DeBernieres, Lao-Tzu, and an Apache Wedding Prayer. Jennifer and Billy exchanged vows. Everything was "just right". Even the peacocks that inhabit the Mayfield Cottage park stayed in the trees.
And when we went inside to sit down and enjoy delicious food from Elsi's, we were in for a treat. Jennifer and Billy simply know wonderful people so everyone was someone whom you would want to talk to and spend time with. (I wondered sometimes if I were boring the people with me!) So we sat around in a candle-lit screened in porch and enjoyed our food and talked about Jennifer and Billy. Oh, and then we had cupcakes from Hey cupcake! which is by far one of the coolest things going in Austin. (An airstream trailer polished all shiny silver where cupcakes are sold. Not your Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines mix cupcakes but truly amazing, worth-all-of-the-calories cupcakes!!)
And people toasted. And we all wrote wishes to Jennifer and Billy and put them in sealed envelopes for later opening. And then we also wrote cards with things we wanted to get rid of on one side and things we wanted to have more of on the other side. We burned these outside as if they were our offering to the world. Jennifer and Billy do this each New Year's. They call it their "regret log" and they literally write on a piece of wood and then burn it. Cool.
Yes, it was all "just right". But for Jennifer and Billy it's going to be way better than "just right". It's going to be a wonderful, blessed life that they lead together and I'm so honored to get to be part of their circle of friends. A friend of theirs toasted to the triumph of love. So that is my closing line for tonight, if I may borrow it from him, "Here's to the triumph of love" for Jennifer and Billy...for everyone all around the world.

No comments: