Sunday, November 30, 2008

my love languages


A while back I read a book titled The Five Love Languages that talked about these five ways to express love: quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, physical touch, and words of affirmation. I think everyone gives and receives love in different ways, and I think that I'm most well-versed in the following love languages (not that I don't practice all of them!): words of affirmation, acts of service, quality time, and cooking/baking. Yes, I just added in a love language of my own.
Then just today I was reading an article in a magazine in Real Simple titled "10 things cooking has taught me about life" and my love language was affirmed. Here are the 10 lessons learned by Kim O'Donnel:
"Here are 10 lessons learned from my hours in the kitchen. Yours would no doubt be different. But I guarantee that if you stop to consider what you're doing as you beat eggs for breakfast or share a home-cooked meal with friends, you may never consider it a chore again.
1) Small gestures can make a big difference...
2) Cheap thrills are closer than you think...
3) Control is overrated...
4) Sing if you must, but quit thinking so much...
5) There are always second chances...
6) Substance beats style every time...
7) We all have what it takes to create something...
8) Communicate, any way you can...
9) Your instinct may not be the best, but it's yours...
10) Less really is more..."
Of course, I have my own interpretation of each one of those lessons, but I'll spare you! And I'll let you read them in whatever way they apply to your life, whether you cook or not. For now, I'll continue to practice being fluent in my love language of baking and cooking...quite literally as I skip off to finish up a birthday treat for one of my advisees!

No comments: