Wednesday, June 24, 2009

home again, home again


I promise, a race report is coming but I had to share what I returned to at school today because it gives you an idea of how much love and support I have from my St. Andrew's family. I am a seriously lucky girl - the kind of lucky that leaves you thinking, "what in the world did I ever do to deserve this sort of love?".
I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive returning to work today. I know that sounds weird but it's the sort of feeling I used to have when I returned from camp and re-entered the real world and all of my friends and family there. A return to reality is just another signal that a wonderful moment in my life has ended. I know there are more around the bend but I am the sort of person who likes to hang on to each good memory for as long as possible...maybe that's why I still have my IM CDA bracelet on. (How long can I get away with that?!)
Anyway, as I drove into work I was greeted by signs on the driveway and then a decorated door to my office. And I found myself in tears.
My colleagues and friends were so wonderful. They wanted details about the day and they listened patiently as I told them way more than they probably really wanted to know. And then I read their emails and heard about them sharing the moments of watching me cross the finish line on their computers with their families. And I got all teary-eyed again.
I guess people experience their emotions at different times and I find that my tears about this incredible event have been mostly after the fact. Hearing Gran say, "Hello Ironman" instead of "Hello love" when I called her yesterday. Having my colleagues tell me that they were proud of me and give me congratulatory hugs and gifts. Receiving flowers from Lucy and my "St. Andrew's family". Getting voicemails from my mom and a blog post from my dad. It's all been overwhelming in that really sweet way.

4 comments:

erin said...

you are so very loved, E. (or should i say, Ironman!!!! :)

Priscilla said...

That's incredible :) It's so nice to be appreciated at work. I love that you're wearing your bracelet, I didn't want to take mine off. I wore it until I got home :)

remaustin said...

ETG, I think you should wear that bracelet until it falls off! (as gross as that may seem)

Yvonne said...

That is AWESOME. I got teary eyed looking at those pics!