Sunday, June 14, 2009

making my lists and checking them twice...and three times...and four times...

For those of you who don't really know me and have not clued in through reading my blog, I'm a tad type A. A tad OCD about certain things. A tad responsible. A tad...okay, A LOT...attentive to details. So while I'll leave the videotaping of my room the night before IM CDA to other teammates (don't laugh...it's been done...I have proof!), I am going to confess about my lists. (For many of you reading this, don't even pretend that you don't have them, too!!!) My lists for CDA are in an Excel document with 6 tabs:
1) complete list (white)
2) TBT or Tri Bike Transport Bag (orange)
3) CO or Carry-On Bag (yellow)
4) CK or Checked Bag (blue)
5) WOP or Wear on Plane (green)
6) Nutrition Notes (red)
(I wish I could see my mom's face as she's reading this...she used to joke that she didn't know where I came from as this is NOT quite her system of organization!)
Anyway, the lists are super-detailed, covering everything from running shoes to specific hats and quantities of Gus of a specific flavor. This might seem overkill. I'll tell you next week what I think. But for now, it's super helpful and it's one little thing that I have control over.
And that's the funny thing about triathletes, I've come to learn. You have to be sort of detail-oriented, type A to think that this sport is something worth doing for any length of time and with any success (not necessarily in a race! but "success" in terms of even showing up for a ride with the right gear...details). But you also have to be really flexible. Anything can happen. On any given day. To any athlete.
And that is where I'm finding comfort in my lists right now. I cannot control the weather next Sunday (or any day!). I cannot control whether or not I have a flat at mile 73 on the bike. I cannot control how many times I might get punched in the face or side during the swim. I cannot control the course that I will run to take me into the finish chute next Sunday. But I can make sure I have what I need to get there. I can make sure I have the shorts that are most comfortable, the water bottle that will work best, the Infinit that I need on the bike, the right sunglasses and goggles...and clothes that make me happy for the days leading up to it and the moments right after I finish. And while it might lead to me packing and unpacking bags to check and double (and triple and quadruple...) check things, it makes me feel calmer. Pretty easy way to calm someone, I think.
Last thing on my list tonight...SLEEP...off I go!

No comments: