Saturday, June 6, 2009

a trip down...

Had a great ride this morning - I'm so thankful to be feeling strong as we taper toward CDA on June 21. We did the Kyle Valero + 1 south MoPac loop ride. It's sort of funny that this was the first long ride that I did with T3 when I started training with the team about a year ago...and it's the last long ride that I'll do with the team before CDA. (This coming week will be loops on south MoPac before my bike leaves on Thursday.) When I did this ride for the first time I remember feeling like I'd ridden to another universe - a very pretty one but a very far one. I rode with someone who didn't end up sticking with T3 very long and I was supposed to turn around at the first gas station but I went to the second one because I didn't want to ride alone! I remember not really knowing anyone that day; but I know I was at the back of the pack. And it felt sort of lonely but something clearly kept me coming back. Today I was also at the back of the pack. But I was with Amy. And it felt anything but lonely. What a difference. I now have no questions about what keeps me coming back. What a difference a year makes! In training, personally, professionally...wow. And I can't even say it's been a blur because I've felt so present in all of it. Very cool. I'm feeling very fortunate right now...and I'm grateful, not taking anything for granted.
And then to make the trip down memory lane a little longer, I ventured to the Danskin Triathlon Expo to help as needed. Danskin is the first triathlon that many women do. It was the first one I did...back in June 2004. I remember crossing the finish line with my friend Kimberly...I immediately exclaimed, "Cool! I want to do another one!" as Kimberly said, "I'm never doing that again in my life." Both statements held truth. I will forever credit Kimberly for getting me into the wonderful, crazy sport. And she's been a terrific friend and supporter along the way. Anyway, seeing so many women out at Decker Lake today getting ready to take on the Danskin Triathlon tomorrow made me excited. Some had done the race before. Some were total rookies - asking awesome questions and looking both nervous and excited to be doing this. I had a blast being out there...and am thinking that I could be a professional volunteer!
Later afternoon smoothie with Amy...plus a little shopping on the drag. Got to meet Amy's dogs, too! Rio and Norman...total cuties. And Rio didn't freak out when he saw me...clearly he thinks I'm okay!
Early to bed tonight so I can put in a solid 10 miles tomorrow with Laura...our other running buddies are riding tomorrow, out of town, or running earlier so I'll be trying to hang on the heels of speedy Laura. I'll let you know how I fare! For tonight though, I'll be thinking of just how different an athlete and person I am since my first Danskin 5 years ago...and even since my first long T3 ride 1 year ago. Life is a wonderful, crazy adventure...so glad to still be on it.

No comments: