Sunday, June 28, 2009

race report - phase 5: bike

112 miles...hills...some flats...plenty of technical parts...plenty of spectator friendly parts...and plenty of really remote parts. The longest part of the Ironman by far - and the part that usually feels the longest to me. Except on this 112 mile bike ride. I think that I started off in such a great mood that I was almost carried over the first loop by my smile and happiness. The first 56 miles really did fly by. Saw LOTS of T3 teammates on the route - mostly going past me or doubling back on the out-and-back course. I think that kept me going, too. There was great energy out there.
As for the course, well, the hills that I practiced on the computrainer became very real. I had driven the course a couple of days before but when you're in a car, there's a very different reality to the hills! The groaning of the car engine that I remembered became a groaning in my chest and in my legs but I muscled through.
On the first loop there was a guy singing "The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music" as we climbed the first major hill. Those of us around him expressed a mixture of laughter and annoyance! I thought it was sort of funny...at least for a little while.
More than anything on this first loop, I was happy that the weather was holding out, that I'd somehow managed to dress appropriately, and that so far there were no technical or nutritional problems. Quick pit stop before I headed back out on loop 2 - the wonderful volunteer who held my bike for me said, "Wow...that was fast!" My reply was, "I need all the extra minutes I can get on the bike...no dilly-dallying for me!"
Saw Kimberly and John on my way back into town and then the T3 cheering squad when I hit downtown CDA. What a lift in my spirits to see these familiar, supportive faces again. (And seriously, how you can be in a bad mood when someone like Amy jumps out and sings show tunes to you?! I laughed so hard I cut my lip on my aero bottle straw! Seriously....she was an amazingly wild cheerleader that day...hence...no voice for Amy now! But there's more to come about ALL of our cheerleaders...a full post of their own is on its way.) I was feeling strong - mentally and physically - as I started on the second loop. I was aware that the temperature was dropping but still felt comfortable...and said a little prayer that the rain wouldn't start while we were still biking. Was conscious of my nutrition & happy that I was staying on top of it. And I made a mental note to spin my legs wherever possible to get them ready for the 26.2 mile run I had in front of me. I was doing well on time so I began to relax about that a little...but not too much.
The hills seemed tougher this time around - no surprise - and I was especially thankful for the extraordinary volunteers who were there with emotional and nutritional support. Only took water from the aid stations but the enthusiasm of the folks there always gave me an extra boost of energy. Got a side stitch somewhere along the way and popped a few Thermolytes in hopes that something was "off" in terms of my electrolytes. Not sure if this or time solved the issue but by about 3/4 of the way through the second loop I was free of the pain. Yeah!
As I approached town again my spirits were soaring. I was finishing the bike with plenty of time to spare to the cut off and I laughed that at one point during training I was honestly fearful that I would miss the bike cut-off time. I had averaged just below 16 mph which is strong for me for a ride like this, especially with headwinds as we came back into town. Thank goodness for all of our winter riding in the chilly, windy Austin weather in January and February (and March!). Rolling back into transition I had a HUGE smile on my face and when the nice volunteer said, "Need anything from your bike?" I quickly said, "Nope! Take it away!" I was relieved to be finished but I have to say I never hit a breaking point while I was on the bike when I just wanted to dump it on the roadside. I had been MUCH happier for those 112 miles than I ever thought I would be...nice feeling to carry into the run with me. Little did I know how much I would need those good feelings although the rain as I exited T2 should have been a sign of things to come!

No comments: