Thursday, October 29, 2009

the 80s made me cool?

I can't write anything "deep" or "thoughtful" tonight because I've been "deep" in "thinking" mode all day writing and reading letters of recommendation and doing other things to get a bunch of college application materials together for my students...my head hurts a little. Partly because as I write about each student I feel incredibly humble, grateful, and inadequate. I work with amazing teenagers...many of whom I would put in the "wonderful human being" category even at age 17 or 18. Seriously. I'm not worthy!
And to add to that bounty, I also get to teach Service Learning to 9th graders. Together we ponder what it means to serve, who we serve, how we are served, why we serve others. It's a very cool, organic class. And today the seven of us headed over to El Buen Samaritano to unload rice into their food pantry. It's that time of year...the HarvestBowl! St. Andrew's and St. Stephen's bring rice, beans, canned goods, cereal, etc... to stock the El Buen food pantry. It's quite a big deal and very, very cool to be part of. Today we needed to unload a van that had flats of rice in it. Good assembly line work - Henry Ford would have been proud.
But the funniest part was the drive over with these 9th graders. They were messing with the radio and someone found "Hungry Like the Wolf" and before I knew it, windows were rolled down, and we were all singing like we were at a karaoke parlor. SO FUNNY! They knew all the words and were surprised that I did, too. When I said, "Guys, this is my music" they looked at me and said, "Cool." Ah, Duran Duran has somehow made me cool. Or something!

No comments: