Thursday, October 22, 2009

flip-flop

No...I have not taken up gymnastics. (Left that behind in 7th grade after a bad accident on the uneven parallel bars that would have made my life completely different from the way it is today if it had ended as badly as they originally thought!) But my day was a total flip-flop of what I had planned and expected.
I woke up to (more) rain. Made for great sleeping weather last night and brought some much desired cooler weather with it. And we just plain need the rain.
But the last time it was raining like this I was the only one who showed up at swimming and Chrissie refused to go home and instead stood in the rain coaching just me because she's just awesome like that. It was a fabulous private lesson but I felt guilty the whole time. And I didn't want to risk that again this morning! So I headed to CoreFit instead. I was supposed to do CoreFit in the afternoon - flip-flop #1.
As a result I got to work extra early so I cranked out a lot of stuff. Did work that I would have done after school before the school day even started -flip-flop #2. The day was full of my own deskwork, working with students, entertaining college reps...the usual.
Somewhere mid-morning two other shifts occurred - a cold front came through and with it some drier air and I decided I would run tonight...shift #2 was partly in reaction to shift #1! Decided to do my 8 mile run today instead of tomorrow morning - flip-flop #3. I love that I'm so much more flexible with my training these days. Makes my life MUCH easier. Duh.
My run was awesome. Something to do with the cooler weather, you think?! DEFINITELY! I really am just a better, easier runner when the weather is cool. And evidently, lots of Austinites are partial to this weather, too, since the Town Lake trail was teeming with runners. Saw some familiar faces which was fun and really tried to push myself for the 8 miles. Held an average that I was happy with...which is nice since it might be my last run of any real distance before Conroe in 3 weeks!
Final flip-flop of the day...dinner with Erin instead of coffee with her tomorrow morning AND breakfast for dinner at Magnolia. Yum. Great way to end a topsy-turvy but wonderful, "go with the flow" sort of day. Not sure I want everyday to be like this but it turned out to be much better than I ever imagined living in the moment and taking each turn as I rounded it.

No comments: