Thursday, October 15, 2009

punctuation

No, this is not going to be a lesson in grammar. Although I'm fairly certain that some of my former English teachers would be horrified at the grammar mistakes that I make in this blog! But this entry comes from a conversation I had in my second meeting of the morning (the first was at 7:00 a.m., the second was at 8:30 a.m. - thus went the rest of my day...meeting, meeting, meeting...until happy hour with some girlfriends!). We were talking about a student's essay and her dad said, "Did the other people editing it think that you had used too many semi-colons? I thought you had." The student said, "No. They thought it was fine. Besides, I LOVE semi-colons." We all laughed. When do you exclaim that you LOVE a punctuation mark?!
Anyway, it got us all answering the question, "If you were a punctuation mark, which one would you be?" In the room - an exclamation point, a semi-colon, and an ellipsis... Yes, the last one was mine. In case you haven't noticed, I love the three simple dots of the ellipsis.
Technically the ellipsis can be used to represent an omission (intentional) of words from a quotation. But it can also be used to indicate an unfinished thought or if it's at the end of a sentence it suggests that the sentence trails off.
Pretty much, it means that there's more to the story...LOVE THAT! So, yes, I would be an ellipsis...because I like to think that my story has not ended...that there's more to come...that it's unfinished. Appropriately...

No comments: