Saturday, October 17, 2009

outlaw 100

First 100-miler since CDA. "Why?" was everyone's question. "You're training for a 1/2 Ironman, why do you need to ride 100 miles?" Well, I don't really NEED to but in an effort to get stronger on the bike, Chrissie suggested that I add some 100-milers into my fall/winter training schedule. And I usually try to listen to and follow my coaches' advice. So I rode 100 miles today. The original plan was to ride with Sallie, Josie's sister; but I never found her at the start and Courtney and I started off together and stayed together for 85-90% of the ride. It was fun to ride together again - like old times from Longorn training last year. Courtney's getting ready for IMFL next month so it was a great time to pass along any little bits of advice I could think of. The weather was gorgeous - minus the headwind - and we saw a good number of T3ers, Robyn, and Rebecca out there which is always fun.
As usual, I averaged right about 15.5-15.75 mph. It's really quite funny. But at least I'm not getting slower! Well, that's slower than my CDA pace (what?!) but I have to remind myself that I wasn't racing or pushing this and we stopped about three times as much. And I felt really strong at the end. So much so that I tried to push it the last 20 miles and probably averaged closer to 17-18 mph for those. Wonder what it would be like to have that be my average speed?! Hmmm...maybe one day I'll know. Something to keep working for.
At any rate, it was a GREAT day to be on a bike and to go outdoors. Grateful that this passion of mine gets me outside on days like today. And that today was so beautiful that we could celebrate Suzanne's birthday outside tonight with some PIZZA...much needed after a century. In an awesome mood as I head off to sleep...I think I'll sleep well.

No comments: