Thursday, February 19, 2009

and the road sign says...

...and I'm really happy about that! Better than:
And I'm well aware that the message from Dr. Phil could have been to stop. To take full rest. To not even think about running or cycling or swimming because of an injury worse than shin splints. But thankfully, that was not his message! My muscles on either side of my main calf muscle are still as weak as ever (really, it would be laughable if it wasn't so problematic!) but there's stuff we can do for that. Started in with almost 30 minutes of physical therapy today. Calf raises (and lowering) with a 20-pound vest on. Now there's an incentive not to gain weight!! Balancing on one leg with my eyes shut. Yeah, when your arches roll in this is not easy! And then some work on the half-dome balance ball and on the balance platform. It's all very cool...and all very challenging.
This weekend I get to try a little run (3-5 miles depending on how my leg feels). I'm to stop as soon as it starts hurting, if that happens. And while a week or so ago I would have had a hard time doing that, I think I'll be inclined to be especially tuned in to my body this week. And hopefully from here on out. I now know that the discomfort/pain I was feeling wasn't normal. Silly me, I thought it was just part of this whole process.
Anyway, I have my homework cut out for me - blue band work each day, stretching, rolling, icing. Seriously, it's like a part-time job! And if IM training is another part-time job then the two together make a full-time job...which takes me back to where I was with two full-time jobs last year? NO WAY! This is so much different because this is stress-relieving and fun and social and, well, just plain awesome. Injuries and all.
I actually think that this little detour has been really good for me. I don't always think outside of the box. I get worried that if I'm not following something exactly that disaster will ensue. I can get anxious if the path that I mapped out isn't followed. And this past week has been about overcoming that sort of stuff. With each day I'm coming to understand more and more how IM training really can be LIFE transforming...in a way that reaches far beyond your physical health and well-being. Other people had told me this but like most valuable things in life, you have to make it your own. You have to live it to get it...and to get the most out of it.
I'm so lucky to be living it...and hopefully living life more fully as a result. And I feel particularly lucky to have people to share it with...it makes the journey so much more meaningful. Thanks especially to those folks who've inquired about my injury this past week, lifted up a prayer, sent all sorts of good thoughts my way, etc... I feel incredibly cared for and I know not to take that for granted.
So...on I go. Hazard lights blinking as I proceed with caution (all the way to a "long aqua jog" on Sunday morning instead of a long run. I'm going to be so excited to see the trail again it won't even be funny!!).

1 comment:

erin said...

looking forward to tomorrow! :)