Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sunday, and my thoughts are...

... random. Readers, beware!
At different points today I kept thinking "Ooh, I'll blog about that today" and then about an hour later there was something new to blog about. I felt like my ideas were a pinball bouncing around in a pinball machine!
So, finally, I decided to blog about it all. Here goes...
1 - I finally managed to negative split a run at Town Lake...thanks to Blythe and Liz, my running buddies today, we had about a 20 second difference between the 1st and 2nd half of our 10 mile run!
2 - I love going to the grocery store...and I sometimes do funny things there! For example, if someone who works in the grocery store has a name tag on, I like to call/thank him or her by name. Sometimes the folks give me funny looks...sometimes I think they are glad to be recognized as an individual. Oh, and at the grocery stores where you might buy something in bulk and then weigh it, I have a very weird knack for hitting certain money increments on the mark. For example, I will measure out exactly $2.40 of rolled oats on accident. Another useless "skill"!
3 - when you make "very, very veggie soup" you expect it to be green, right? Well, the "very, very veggie soup" I made today is "very, very orange". Some of that is the cook's fault. I don't like eggplant so I opted to add more butternut squash (which tastes a lot like sweet potatoes in this soup, by the way)...and I forgot to buy zucchini. So, yeah, the soup is pretty much chock full of Vitamin A!
4 - I broke down and bought a pair of compression socks today...and wore them all afternoon and into the evening (have them on right now as I sit on the couch with my legs on a pillow...those of us in training do put our feet up every once in a while!). I'm hoping this helps my legs recover from the ART work (and my massage...and the ride and run this weekend). They actually felt okay on our 10 mile run today but I figured this wouldn't hurt...need to be ready for more ART and Wilke tomorrow! Besides, even if they don't work for this, apparently they can help prevent varicose veins...which I've never really thought about but at age 35, I should?! Nah...what's the use? (Oh, and Gran thought it was hysterical that in the past 6 months we've both been wearing compression socks...good bonding with my 91 year-old grandmother!)
5 - in the winter, I have a warm treat before bed every night: hot cocoa with marshmallows + 1 marshmallow (sometimes 2...usually not more!) with a dab of peanut butter. Don't knock it until you try it...it's delicious! It's my little ritual.
6 - we're about to enter our "Endurance Base 1" phase of IM training and I still think it's a blast!
7 - I sometimes do silly things like climb on my kitchen counter to change light bulbs because I'm too lazy to go get the step ladder. I promise, I'm careful!
8 - I love to surprise people. Especially when it comes to people learning something about me that they didn't know. Like that I love to camp and don't mind smelling like a campfire or sleeping under the stars. I like country music (the old and the new). I will eat all of the black jelly beans out of the bowl because they are my favorite. I'm okay with bugs but I am afraid of birds. And I love fruit, but I don't like a lot of fruit flavored things...bring on the real stuff. The list could go on but I won't spoil your surprises!
9 - the sky was so pretty tonight as the sun was setting...a beautiful rosy shade of pink-orange and I thought "red sky at night, sailor's delight...red sky in the morn, sailors take warn". Hope the sky is clear tomorrow even though we could sure use the rain around here.
10 - I love, love, love living in Austin! Seriously. Running in February in shorts and a t-shirt. Town Lake hike & bike trail. A wonderfully accepting city. Cool, laid back, friendly people. Natural beauty. Again, the list could go on! I feel really lucky to live here.
So those are some of my very random thoughts for the day...I won't bore you with the rest of them! On to Monday...

1 comment:

erin said...

I love them all!!! :) Thanks for sharing... and of course so great to see you on Saturday night!