Sunday, February 1, 2009

february 1...

...and it's 76+ degrees...and sunny...and I ran in shorts and a long sleeve shirt this morning and was wishing for a short sleeve shirt by mile 10!
My calendar has this as its picture for the month and I keep thinking that it's pretty sweet to live in Austin, Texas right about now...and always.
Had a great run this morning. 100% of it with Blythe, most of it with Jim as well although he pulled ahead of us at one point and then let us catch him at the end. Liz ran 1/2 of it with us (she wasn't doing the full distance since she's still nursing an injury). Yvonne ran part of it with us, too. My legs were tired from yesterday's ride/brick, but my shin never hurt so that was good. Weather was perfect - started off at 48 degrees but then warmed up as the sun came out and as we picked off the miles. SO grateful to have running buddies as I might have been tempted to stop on my own...and I know they kept me going at a swift pace (averaged 9:11/mile). As we got ready to do our last mile, I took a look at my watch and realized it was showing the time that I did the 1/2 marathon in last year (that was 13.1 miles and we were headed into mile 15), so I'm pretty excited about possibly running that race even better than I did last year. Although it does have some nasty hills at the end...but I'll be smarter about the race this year. Anyway, it felt like a nice accomplishment to have this run behind us - even if, as Blythe and Erin reminded me, I have run this distance before. Drats! I thought it was another first! Oh, well, I have no idea what my time was last time but I'm fairly sure I feel better this time around.
Soaked/swam in Barton Springs after the run...good call from Coach Logan to do something like that for our legs after yesterday's ride/brick and today's run. Plus I needed 30 more minutes of swimming to round out my training week so it was perfect. And I swam without a wetsuit which made me happy. Still getting used to that neoprene...
Post-workout treat of a breakfast taco and coffee from Whole Foods...home to do more laundry (seriously, I cannot imagine if there were more than 1 person in this house!)...caught up with mom and Gran and a few friends...grocery shopping for the week...saved some bananas from being tossed by tossing them into banana bread...threw some ingredients into the Crock Pot for my meals this week (trying a new recipe - Mediterranean chicken, rice, and tomato bake)...and am finally settling down to work on a presentation for a couple of weeks from now. (I'm not usually able to work this far ahead but it's a new one and it's for a big deal so I need to get it done early!)
Need to roll my legs later today...maybe as I pretend to watch the SuperBowl? (Sorry Steelers & Cardinals fans, I just never got into the NFL this year.) And then it's off to bed early for me. I'm tired from the weekend of training - it was a big one, even if I know there are bigger ones to come. I'm taking Coach Chrissie's advice and looking at it one week at a time. I figure that way I won't feel too overwhelmed by what's ahead and I'll let myself celebrate these little milestones along the way.
I'm SO looking forward to yoga tomorrow morning. My legs need it! And it never hurts my spirits either...good way to start Monday...and a new month!

No comments: