In triathlon training, some people are known as "weekend warriors". This means that they really don't train much during the week but cram in as many hours as they possibly can during the weekend. (I think this term "officially" refers to anyone who does this with certain activities like golf or hiking, etc...) It's probably not the smartest way to train. I suspect that it leads to lots of injuries, and if you're doing your training even 1/2-way seriously there's simply no way to get your hours in...at least not if you are training for a longer race.All that being said, I am a "weekend warrior" of another sort. My confession for this blog is that I'm a weekend sleep warrior. Yep...my theory is that I can make up whatever sleep I missed during the week on the weekend. (Sort of like the image, "I can sleep for days"...but not really because there are workouts and errands to be done and friends to catch up with...but I do get significantly more sleep on the weekends than I do during the week.) Not a very good plan, I know, but it's what I'm working with right now. And each week I say I'm going to get better about all of it, and each week I don't exactly reach that goal. But I'm meeting other goals...does that count for something?!
By some miracle, I met all of my hours this week for training...if you count aqua jogging as my running. I did 45 minutes of it on Wednesday and then 2 hours and 20 min of it today. (Yep...nearly froze in Barton Springs...got a tad bored...but just kept on jogging away. Long enough to notice that one of the duck decoys had been stolen. Long enough to pick up on the "traffic" patterns at Barton Springs on a Sunday morning. Long enough to want to tell the very slow guy that was there nearly the whole time I was that if he kicked just a little he would go faster. And long enough to see that the cormorant that was there this morning was fearless when it came to people! Even made my bike hours because I snuck in an extra spin class this week concerned about my lack of running. So, even though we had to cut our long ride short yesterday because of weather conditions, I ended up being okay hour-wise. But here's the REALLY cool thing...even if I had not been okay by the books, I was okay in my gut. Our coaches didn't seem worried and even told us all not to go back out for another loop yesterday. No one posted, "Should we ride on our trainers at home? Should we put in extra hours this coming week?" I think maybe we all know that it's February and while the workouts are important, one or two that don't work out just as planned is not the end of the world. And that's sort of nice. I do love that the vast majority of T3 athletes are serious about their training but not so much that everyone feels like any minute lost has to be regained.
However, I do need to take my sleep more seriously and not be trying to regain every lost wink over the weekend...unfortunately, too many studies have shown you can't really do that! So on that note, I'm headed to finalize the packing for Monday and hit the hay.
P.S. It was a really good day...nice balance of exercise, home time, time with friends, catching up with family, and cooking. A happy Sunday.
1 comment:
ahhh..... sleep is the fourth sport in IM training. I'm living vicariously through you!
Post a Comment