- loves you unconditionally
- listens to you with a knowing and wise set of ears
- from time to time will make you feel like you can do no wrong...and then lovingly call you out and take you back when you have done something wrong!
- reminds you where you come from...and maybe even where you are going
- provides a perspective that is different from your own...either because of age, experience, or just a different outlook on life
- tells you that they are proud of you..sometimes because of something you did but mostly because of who you are (this email from her happened to be because of some things I did, but I know that those don't matter as much to her as who I am...and I'm thankful for that because I'm not always going to do things that are newsworthy!)
Here's the email that prompted this circle of thoughts...what a wonderful "love note" on Valentine's Day:Dear Elizabeth,
If anyone wants to know what grandmothers do on dreary afternoons, tell them that you can only speak for one and here goes. I was cleaning off my desk and ran across The Crusader (the magazine from the school where I teach) in which all of the pictures and clippings (from some events that I was involved in last year) were safely stored. I re-read every article and just wanted to let you know how proud I am of you. Of course, I could have added to the article but they did not ask me.
Always remember how much I love you and how proud I am of all that you have done.
Lots of love,
Gran
And with that, I headed off for a 60 mile bike ride on a day that was colder and breezier than expected. I'd like to think that I tackled the elements and the hills all by myself but I know that's never really the case. There were T3 folks on the road in front of and behind me and there were people like Gran in my back pocket and in my heart with words of encouragement and love. I sometimes wonder when I'm struggling on parts of a 60 mile ride just how I will get through a 112 mile ride (not to mention that I will have just done a 2.4 mile swim and will be looking forward to - ha! - a 26.2 mile run). It never really occurs to me to stop. And I've been trying to figure out why. I'm sure it's part of my personality (that perfectionism and Type A part of me does have some purpose?!) but I also think that it's the voices of my family, friends, teammates, students, and colleagues that will help carry me over the hills and anything else that CDA presents to me. So when Gran says she could never do an Ironman, I giggle and think, "Well, get ready, because you'll be there with me."
1 comment:
Your Gran sounds awesome.
By the way, you serve as a"gran" to me almost every day. :)
Post a Comment