Wednesday, February 18, 2009

welcome to the world of...

AQUA JOGGING!
So this is one option in terms of how to keep up with your training when you've done something silly like been sidelined with shin splints or some other injury. Yvonne and I tried it out tonight at Barton Springs...and it was actually fun. And funny. And we got lots of funny looks. And even a few funny comments.
But my heart rate definitely got up (maybe not as much as running on land but more than it does when I'm just walking). And I learned a thing or two. Like...you can do butt kicks and high knees in the water! You can simulate the Nordic Track motions in the water when you're doing "cross country skiers". You can aqua jog in a wetsuit. As expected it keeps you warmer and makes you more buoyant. Not sure that makes the workout any easier, but you can certainly feel the movements of your legs more. You can make a game out of dodging the few swimmers that are there in the evening...and even beat some of them. It's much better to do this with someone...I think I would have been bored after my second set if Yvonne had not been there.
Here was our workout:
5 min warm-up "jog"
1 pool width/length (whatever you choose) of each of these:
- exaggerated run + easy jog back
- butt kicks + easy jog back
- high knees + easy jog back
- cross country skiers + easy jog back
We went through that 3 times and then did a 5 minute cool down. At the end of each "drill", I would pick up the pace for about 15 seconds (per Chrissie's advice). In all, about 45 minutes...not shabby.
In other news...New Orleans grocery shoppers, watch out, Gran is back in action! Her report today was that she went to the grocery (with her sitter) for the first time in months. She has now decided it will be a regular outing for her - she saw a ton of people and I could tell she was happy. But the best part of the story is that she tried out one of the carts for people with disabilities and apparently drove all around the store! Way to be resourceful, Gran! I love her spirit.
Back to Dr. Phil tomorrow to see about the shins...

1 comment:

md said...

E, I'm so sorry to hear about your shin problems. that sucks. but kudos to you for braving the coldness of BS. keep at it. hope to see you at spin.