Monday, February 23, 2009

crazy running thoughts

Someone asked me if I was going crazy since I haven't really been able to run much for a good week and a half now. I replied, "No, because I've been able to do all of the other things - bike, swim, yoga, core...and aqua jogging!" Well, I clearly spoke too soon.
I was cleared to run for 3-5 miles twice this week before I see Dr. Phil on Thursday. My shin felt great during my run on Saturday (same distance) so I wasn't really nervous about it hurting during this run. After all, I did aqua job for 2+ hours yesterday to give it some final TLC before this week started. And I iced yesterday. And I did the PT. And I rolled. And maybe it's all paying off because I had a great run today - not fast, but calm and steady and feeling strong. I hit the trail at school and I had forgotten how much I love to run it. Maybe I forgot that I really have grown to like running!
And while all of those thoughts were swimming around in my head and a bunny rabbit dashed out of the path and a deer ran away up ahead, I thought to myself: "Maybe I really like trail running? Maybe I need to do more of it? Maybe if I really love it, I will want to run SunMart one day." Stop. If I ever say this out loud to you, you are to say, "Elizabeth, you don't like to run that much!"
You see, SunMart is a "Texas Endurance Race " - distances: 50 mile or 50K...of trail running. Seriously. I don't know what came over me on that trail at school today. I don't like to run that much (yet?) and I think I'd get yanked off either course with their finish times of 11.5 hours and 12 hours! Maybe this is what happens to people when they are told they can't do something. Suddenly, you love whatever it is you can't do!!! At any rate, this is how I get myself into trouble. I suddenly think I can tackle some enormous task or challenge and I set my mind to it...and I do it. Or at least I try. And it makes people like Gran ask reasonable questions like "Is someone advising you about all of this?" of sometimes unreasonable granddaughters. Don't worry, folks, I'll at least attempt some shorter trail races/runs before I seriously think about SunMart.
That being said, I was a very happy girl to be back on some trail again...with each day I feel like my shins are getting better. And I trust I'll have my running groove back again soon!
P.S. Just for the record, before I tackle SunMart I will tackle the crane pose in yoga. Seriously, it's my own personal challenge. On that note, namaste.

1 comment:

erin said...

you're nuts. but i love it. :)