Wednesday, February 25, 2009

ashes to ashes...

Those were the words that I heard over and over again in chapel today while ashes were imposed on people's foreheads as we observed Ash Wednesday. I think today is supposed to remind us about our mortality. But all I kept thinking about whenever I went down that "because we're human, we're all going to die someday" road was just how awesome it is to be alive.
How grateful I am for the life I have.
How I want to live life in a really big way (not in a loud way, "everyone look at me" way but in a passionate way).
How creating more space in my life (my Lenten goal) by not cluttering all of my free, non-training time with work is the a step toward to living a large, expansive life.
So what did I do on this first day of Lent? I took some time to think. I took care of my body (core + an afternoon run with Amy). I took time to listen to a former student's anxieties. I took some food over to a friend who might have needed it (and even if it wasn't needed then the thought was there...and I'm just like that...I show up). And, of course, I did my work, too. I think this is the sort of life we're supposed to live - reflective, productive, caring, healthy. Living life to the fullest, even if it's in a quiet way.

No comments: