Monday, April 27, 2009

crazy weather...and finally a good run

Tornado watch... thunderstorms... downpours... sunshine... calm... chilly...hot and humid...all within about 12 hours! Welcome to central Texas...this is our springtime weather!
Watched the weather all day from the quiet of my office - with the seniors gone I have few visitors, which is allowing me to tackle some projects that have needed attention for at least a couple of weeks. The light morning rain gave way to downpours by noon. Then thunder. And lightning. Over and over again. Good sleeping weather. Oops...couldn't do that today! As the afternoon crept on though the inevitable question arose, "Will we run tonight?"
Exchanged emails with Blythe and Amy to make a plan...yes, we would show up for run unless there was thunder or lightning...or, according to Amy, a downpour. By the time I got out of acupuncture, the skies were clearing and there was no reason not to run.
Classically, I overdressed (to my credit when I ran home to grab clothes it was chillier and raining which made it feel almost cold!)...stripped a layer after our 15 minute core...switched shirts after warm-up. I think I changed nearly as many times as the weather today!
Finally got started on our set - 6 repeats of the loops in Zilker, working the hills and then hammering each ending. #1-5 were solid and on the last one, with some good coaching I really pushed the end. It's been a while since I felt like I had that in me. Thank goodness Logan thought I could, knew I could, thought I should, knew I would...whatever...I did it. And while it was a physical feat, I think it was more of a mental breakthrough - maybe turning of a corner is more appropriate? Whatever the case may be, it made me feel better about my running again. Not that I haven't had good runs...I have...I guess I just felt like I had hit a plateau. Silly me, I just needed to get my rear in gear and bust off of that plateau. Reminder that we have what we need inside of us. Although sometimes it sure does help (or maybe is even necessary) to have someone push us to that next level.
Good stretching after practice and I got to see the owl that hoots in the mornings when I go swim at Barton Springs. A rather calm way to end a tumultuous day...

No comments: