Sunday, April 12, 2009

easter

spring...new beginnings...easter...coming out of our cocoons...spring cleaning...a chance to start anew...
All of those thoughts were running through my mind today as the hours passed and I tried to enjoy each one of them. The day started with a rain storm that eventually cleared and left us with bright sunshine - sort of fitting for Easter, actually.
Blythe and I tackled our 16 mile run today without our usual sidekicks because of Easter schedules and the storm. We missed our running buddies but were SO thankful to have one another. Both of us were feeling beat after yesterday's ride (plus the computrainer ride the day before for me), and we agreed early on not to worry so much about our pace but just to focus on constant running and completion. We did finish. We did run the whole way (except for water stops). And we agreed that our legs actually felt better after the first hour than they did initially - good lesson learned! At any rate, our pace was not what mattered...we were terribly consistent and I think from time to time actually enjoyed ourselves. I certainly enjoyed Blythe's company - as always.
Anyway, if you're following my blog regularly, you can see that the theme for my training weekend (and looking back on it, for my whole week of training)..."just get it done." I'm ready to leave that attitude behind in the coming week and am really looking forward to my day tomorrow - yoga, massage, acupuncture...and a little work sprinkled in between. I need a chance to really recharge the batteries physically and mentally so I can come back strong. My "mind over matter" approach to life and training doesn't always serve me well because I become an auto-pilot Energizer bunny that just keeps going and going and going. So, in conjunction with Easter and new beginnings I'm going to rest up tomorrow and come back anew on Tuesday. (And I appreciate the encouragement of those around me more than you know...I really do.)
The rest of the day included phone calls to friends and families...again, I'm seriously lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful people. Making lasagna from scratch (down to homemade pasta sauce)...yummy!!! (And good food for the week ahead!) Time with friends for an Easter gathering...incredible friends who regularly open their home to all of us Austinites without family in town. (I took some cookies...oatmeal & Hershey bar and oatmeal/cranberry/raisin/chocolate chip...all were a hit!) And finally church with the Blakistones and Blythe's friend Meredith.
To top off the day...a cupcake from hey cupcake! that Laura gave me - not necessary but MUCH appreciated (and feeling like it was well-earned this weekend...)!
Here's to the week ahead...looking forward to a new beginning...

No comments: