Friday, April 24, 2009

friday quotation...for my advisees

today is the seniors last day of classes...next week they will return for two days of exams and then head out into Austin and beyond for their sr. projects (a month of internships, creative projects, etc...very cool).
yes, it's time for them to leave. but that doesn't mean that my heart won't miss them. especially my sweet advisees - Audrey, Jase, Nick, Nicole, Grant, Paige, Dillon, Lauren, John, and Ben. what a gift they have been to me this year.
I feel a little like a "mama bear" as they head out into the world. Worried that I didn't guide them enough. Worried that I haven't given them certain skills that they need to survive and live a full life. Worried that somehow they might not know how much I care about, respect, believe in, and love them.
So, of course, I tried to tell them today in the way that I know how...through a cake...and then through some words during advisory period. My quotation (truly from me...no one else could write these words for me) for you, advisees, is this:
Love and live boldly.
Do things because they matter to you.
Find something to believe in - you will need it in difficult times and you will want it in good times.
Surround yourselves with people who bring joy to your life and remind you of what's important...and be those people for others.
Always be a little kinder than necessary...I don't know of anyone dying because someone was a little to kind to them.
Don't forget that you all have gifts - use them to improve the world and the lives of those in it. Take good care of yourself and one another. We're all in this together. As soon as we forget that, things fall apart.
And if you ever need a pep talk, a shoulder to cry on, or someone to celebrate with you, I hope you'll remember where to find me. I'll always be one of your biggest fans.

No comments: