For our Good Friday service at school we were asked to think about and submit quotations related to servanthood, sacrifice, mercy, justice, forgiveness, healing, and reconciliation.
Being the rebel that I am, I submitted some words about grace (from one of my favorite authors)...which in my mind is perhaps the ultimate form of many of the themes that were suggested to us.
"...I understood that Auden meant grace in the theological sense, meant it as that force that infuses our lives and keeps letting us off the hook. It is unearned love - that love that goes before, that greets us on the way. It's the help you receive when you have no bright ideas left, when you are empty and desperate and have discovered that your best thinking and your best charm have failed you. Grace is the light or electricity or juice or breeze that takes you from that isolated place and puts you with others who are as startled and embarrassed and eventually grateful as you are to be there." (Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies - Some Thoughts on Faith)
No comments:
Post a Comment