Monday, April 13, 2009

day off

Well, I wasn't quite lounging in a hammock today (although the weather was perfect for it!) and I certainly wasn't by some beautiful body of water (although Town Lake looked pretty wonderful today with the sunlight dancing on its surface)...but I did enjoy my day off. "Off" from just about everything that is part of my regular routine. And I liked it. I'm such a crazy creature of habit that sometimes changes to my usual schedule unnerve me. Not today. Maybe because some of what I did was routine? Maybe because I really needed a break from my routine (so much so that I didn't even miss it!)? Whatever the reason, my body, mind, and spirit are in a better place for having the day I had today.
Started it with yoga - ahhhh...stretch out those muscles from yesterday's long run. Headed to Whole Foods to grab breakfast on my way up to Performance Wellness for a massage with Katie. God bless Katie for tackling my legs time after time. Seriously, she's amazing but I swear she doesn't need to work out as long as I keep coming back to her. Someday maybe my muscles will feel like muscles but that day wasn't today. Last time they felt like rebar; today they felt like bones. I asked her what I was doing wrong and she said, "I think you're just working them really hard." She's right but seriously do they not understand that it would be easier on everyone is they would just loosen up a little?! (Hmmm...perhaps that's a message to their "owner", too...that's a post for another day.) Headed into work after my massage and got a few things done in the office before heading to acupuncture. Praveeta is another godsend in my life. She has seriously helped me stay healthy and in balance for about 7 years now (and she's a fellow triathlete so we always have good conversations about that!). She reminds me of the mind-body-heart connection every time I go in for an appointment and I usually feel better about things when I leave. (Or at least I have some new way to look at things.) I usually get a stellar nap in, too...Praveeta jokes that it's an expensive nap and I say it's worth every penny! Errands after Praveeta and then a dinner deal for work...fun to be with colleagues without the usual hustle and bustle of the school day.
We have a long day of in-service tomorrow and I'm glad to be back in training for it because I'm always better off at in-service if I have already worked out!
So...it seems that my day off served its purpose. Legs are still feeling a bit worn out so I'm going to be really mindful of my workouts this week. I might try to do exactly what the "C plan" outlines instead of one more swim here, one more run there, one more spin just for the heck of it because we have a big weekend ahead of us!



1 comment:

Maggie said...

ah yes, a rest day. isn't it nice? naw not really..I'm ready to get back into it.
glad you're taking good care of your legs.
see you soon.