My family has this great term that we use when suddenly in the middle of a conversation someone completely changes the subject. We call it a "switch-a-roo" and it usually happens when we're discussing something bad that we don't really want to be talking about. As kids, for example, if we were getting fussed at we might suddenly ask, "What's for dinner?" and we'd get called out for a "switch-a-roo."I'm still guilty of conversational "switch-a-roo"s but I have also taken to using the term to apply to almost any sudden change. Like this morning...
The weather forced me to pull a "switch-a-roo" this morning when I woke up to heavy rain, thunder, and lightning. Ummm...that doesn't work for swimming at Lost Creek. I wanted to stay in bed but I also really want to be able to take Friday off from exercise completely. So I hopped over to the PTC for morning spin - sort of fun to have a different group of people to spin with. I think Erin and Praveeta were surprised to see me! The class isn't quite as long as the evening spin classes but that was actually perfect for me since I'd been advised not to spin for very long (race this weekend - ha!).
Clearly, this is a good thing for me to do every now and again. Break out of my routine. Shock my body into something different at 6:00 a.m. because let me tell you, my body is not used to spinning at that hour! Swimming...yes. Core workout...yes. Even running (although I have gotten surprisingly used to running in the evening). Spinning is tough for me in the morning so it's a good challenge from time to time. It's also a good thing mentally...reminding myself that I am flexible, that I can be spontaneous and react to whatever is thrown my way. This is triathlons. This is life. We can't always predict our day or the course of events or decisions that others will make. We have to be able to respond to whatever comes along...and make the best of it!!
Quick shower and then it was off to work for a looooong day. A meeting ran until 6:30 p.m. which meant that I didn't have a ton of time before swimming. But that was okay.
Thankfully, Blythe was up for swimming in the evening, too, and we somehow claimed a lane for ourselves. (Don should have come to swim with us instead of with super fast guys but he stuck it out with them...good for him!) Anyway, it was the PERFECT workout for Blythe and me. I'll forever think of it as the "B&E" workout. It was a great blend of time for Blythe to lead and time for me to lead...happiness. Pulling. Kicking. Fins. And then a quick trip to Rudy's for dinner after - fun! And good to get some good protein in our systems to replenish our muscles. Plus, time with Blythe is always fun!
Home sort of late...tried to start pulling things together for this weekend...and then bed. Knowing that I would get to sleep in on Friday (nice!)...even though I will miss my Barton Springs swim routine (sorry, Nancy!)...the extra sleep is a good thing for me.
Looking forward to this weekend and fun with friends and my first out-of-town race and T3-ness all of that good stuff...now to get everything together to get there!!!
The weather forced me to pull a "switch-a-roo" this morning when I woke up to heavy rain, thunder, and lightning. Ummm...that doesn't work for swimming at Lost Creek. I wanted to stay in bed but I also really want to be able to take Friday off from exercise completely. So I hopped over to the PTC for morning spin - sort of fun to have a different group of people to spin with. I think Erin and Praveeta were surprised to see me! The class isn't quite as long as the evening spin classes but that was actually perfect for me since I'd been advised not to spin for very long (race this weekend - ha!).
Clearly, this is a good thing for me to do every now and again. Break out of my routine. Shock my body into something different at 6:00 a.m. because let me tell you, my body is not used to spinning at that hour! Swimming...yes. Core workout...yes. Even running (although I have gotten surprisingly used to running in the evening). Spinning is tough for me in the morning so it's a good challenge from time to time. It's also a good thing mentally...reminding myself that I am flexible, that I can be spontaneous and react to whatever is thrown my way. This is triathlons. This is life. We can't always predict our day or the course of events or decisions that others will make. We have to be able to respond to whatever comes along...and make the best of it!!
Quick shower and then it was off to work for a looooong day. A meeting ran until 6:30 p.m. which meant that I didn't have a ton of time before swimming. But that was okay.
Thankfully, Blythe was up for swimming in the evening, too, and we somehow claimed a lane for ourselves. (Don should have come to swim with us instead of with super fast guys but he stuck it out with them...good for him!) Anyway, it was the PERFECT workout for Blythe and me. I'll forever think of it as the "B&E" workout. It was a great blend of time for Blythe to lead and time for me to lead...happiness. Pulling. Kicking. Fins. And then a quick trip to Rudy's for dinner after - fun! And good to get some good protein in our systems to replenish our muscles. Plus, time with Blythe is always fun!
Home sort of late...tried to start pulling things together for this weekend...and then bed. Knowing that I would get to sleep in on Friday (nice!)...even though I will miss my Barton Springs swim routine (sorry, Nancy!)...the extra sleep is a good thing for me.
Looking forward to this weekend and fun with friends and my first out-of-town race and T3-ness all of that good stuff...now to get everything together to get there!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment