Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"take aways" from today


Some days, it's all about the "take aways" for me...the things that I learned that day, the things that I thought about that day...nothing deep. Just my random musings...

1) Even if you are determined not to do work in the evening, at least consult your calendar for the next day. That way you can pack the appropriate clothes so you are not late to core class because you realize at the 11th hour that you need to wear a dress today! Duh!
2) Tummy aches can go away with running instead of getting worse with running. I'm not sure they always do, but I learned tonight that at least sometimes they do. I was skeptical but decided to see how it went anyway. I have to say, I was inspired by my teammates who some weeks ago ran after (while still enduring?) a case of food poisoning. I kept thinking, "If they tried to tackle a long run feeling like that, I can certainly survive a track practice feeling like this." And I did. Maybe the pain from my quads masked the ache in my belly?!
3) I am always happier and I do always feel better after a workout - no matter how tough it is, how hot it is, or how bad I may feel. Thank goodness for friends, training buddies, coaches, and endorphins. And a reminder to me of what I already knew: keep showing up.
4) Don't underestimate the impact that you are having on people. Shocked and amazed would be appropriate terms to describe my reaction to some kind, kind words from parents today. Humbled and a little terrified (that I am actually making an impression upon my students) are two other descriptions that come to mind.
5) It's easy to forget how much joy can come from a shared meal when you live alone. Lunch with colleagues today and dinner tonight with Blythe and Jesse were awesome reminders of this. (Oh, and pancakes for dinner...really, how can you go wrong there?)
And finally...really, you would think I would have gotten a clue about this after road trips, long bike rides, etc... and having one of the smallest bladders in the world since I was little.
6) Pee before track practice. Don't think, "Oh, it's just an hour and I'll start sweating and then I won't have to pee." Um, it doesn't quite work that way (at least not for me). You still have to pee an hour into practice if you started practice needing to do so. And it's very hard to drop the hammer when you have to pee.
(Sorry...maybe I should have warned people that that last "take away" was coming but many/most of you who read this are triathletes so you know we just talk about these things...or you are good friends or family and you know sometimes we just talk about these things, too...)
Finally...
7) A day off on the horizon starts to do wonders for your body and mind even before it happens...

No comments: