Tuesday, April 21, 2009

time to recharge

I'm afraid if you hooked me up to a battery charger right now you'd get a "low battery" reading! Sweet Chrissie even asked if I was tired because she thought I had low energy tonight at spin. Yep. She's right. The weekend + a crazy start to the week with a late night at work have depleted the batteries of this usually Energizer bunny-type person.
I actually felt good at morning swim...my body likes to swim. And that was after last night's Wilke workout and my adventures getting to and then into the pool this morning. Detour on Bee Caves without a clear access ramp to 360. Crawling under a bathroom stall door to unlock it so that I could hand a teammate some toilet paper! All before 5:50 a.m.! Seriously, by the time I got in the pool even all of the pulling we did seemed less painful than usual.
But as the day went on, I felt my energy (adrenalin?) levels dropping. Some parents were cooking out for the seniors and so I decided to try a burger in hopes of replenishing my protein stores and hopefully upping the energy level. No real luck. At spin class I tried my best to stay up and remind my body of what it can do. No real luck there either. So on my way home, I made a plan.
I'm taking a day off this week. Yes, a full day...no yoga...no walk around Town Lake...only the basics. Confession: I haven't been good at all about taking a full day off. I like to think that doing yoga is enough of a day off and I think maybe for me it's not. So, in looking ahead at my week I already knew that Thursday would be a day I'd need to mess with. New Student Registration would mean either no evening workout or evening swim. Which would mean morning spin. But I'm making an executive decision (not even consulting anyone...because I know what they would say!), and I'm going to not make myself crazy trying to reshuffle everything. I'm going to take Thursday off from working out. It means that technically I'll be one spin workout behind for the week but, believe me, I will more than make up for that hour on our 100 mile bike ride this weekend so I'm feeling okay about that! Why am I such a slow learner when it comes to rest? Seriously, whatever else I do, I try to give it 100% but when it comes to rest, I often take short cuts or cut myself short. (Continue to) live and (continue to) learn.
But I'm feeling really good about having a day off on the horizon. Mentally, I'm in a really good place training-wise; but physically, I need to have a chance to recover so I can go into the weekend strong. We have another big one coming up - 100+ miles on Saturday on the bike and 18 miles to run on Sunday. The fun part is that we'll be out in Bastrop for a T3 Out of Austin Training weekend. Thanks to Logan we have routes all mapped out. I'm super excited...even though I have to come home Saturday night to chaperone prom (100+ mile cyclist by day...teacher chaperone by night!). It will be good to be outdoors camping for a bit...that will help the batteries of my mind and spirit recharge, too. I can feel my energy coming back a little already just thinking about having the chance to recharge...and then relax out in Bastrop (between riding and running activities, of course!).

No comments: