...my wonderful, wacky, so very full, life that I love!Fun camping trip to Bastrop State Park and good hang out time with Michelle, Suzanne, Logan, Blythe, and Joe on Friday night. Complete with good laughs, awesome surroundings, and s'mores.
Saturday morning came around quickly and by 8:00 a.m. most of us were ready to roll for our 100+ mile ride. Since Logan is hurt, he was our SAG vehicle...complete with water. What a huge help!!
The road through Bastrop State Park is bumpy and hilly but once you get out of the park the roads are great. My directions went flying into the wind somewhere in the park on the first loop so I was working off of some serious internal GPS action. Honestly, I'm not sure I found my way. But I've never been so excited to see Logan's X-Terra as I was when I was on Route 448...it meant I was either going in the right direction OR that Logan would know where to come back and find me when I never emerged from these back roads outside of Bastrop State Park! Thankfully, I was going in the right direction...me, myself, and I...and about 15 miles from the end, Logan caught up with me again to give me some water. Again, a sight for sore eyes...I was in need of water. And since I had not seen any T3ers in a while (i.e. since the park!) it was just nice to not feel completely alone out there. Finished up that first loop and after a quick pit stop started right in on the second loop - on which I actually saw some T3ers this time! Second loop went smoothly...and I finished up the whole darn thing (109 miles) in about 7 hours. Woot!
I did some math (finally!) when I got home and I am becoming more and more convinced that I will make the bike cutoff at CDA. It's 10.5 hours from the beginning of the race...I should be okay. And that's a huge relief...because I want to run that darn marathon at the end...and I want to finish the whole deal. So, a strong ride today (okay, not any speed records but a solid over 15 mph ride for me!) boosted my confidence and I'm excited for our 18 mile run tomorrow.
When the ride was over I wanted to head back into the park and chill with everyone but other duties called...ahem...I needed to get home and get ready for prom. Please! But only after some food and an ice bath. New primping trend?! Probably not...but I had just enough time to degrease my legs from the bicycle grime that had collected on them, soak them in some very cold water with ice, and get all cleaned up and into a dress for the prom. By 7:00 p.m. I was chaperoning and soon listening to 80s remixes that the DJ was playing. I was almost coaxed to the dance floor, but the students quickly lost interest in me - appropriately! By 10:00 I was headed home and did my best to unpack, get a little more food in me, and will head to bed soon.
Highlights of the day:
- I love the ride that we did today! Love being on those country roads!
- camping...love it...I need more time in the woods
- seeing Logan's X-Terra on that first loop
- finishing in 7 hours
- lots of good thinking time...lots of it
- good riding weather
- seeing the "Highway Intersection Ahead" sign on 153 which meant that there was one more turn to 71 and then one more turn after that to Bastrop High School...I literally let out a "yeah"!
- being mistaken for a student at prom (too funny...one of my students came up from behind me and when I turned around to say hello to him he said, "Oh, my gosh, I thought you were one of my classmates"...nice!)
- hearing 80s remixes at prom...funny...is it my prom or theirs?!
- seeing all of our students all dressed up
- sleeping in my own bed tonight
So, there's my day...phew...I think it's the perfect snapshot of my life right now. From cycling clothes for training to a cocktail dress for work all within the span of 12 hours...sleeping in my sleeping bag and then in my bed within 24 hours...what awesome things to fill the hours in a given day.
1 comment:
You are a machine!!! Congrats on the solid bike ride!!!
Post a Comment