Phew. I'm sitting here in Dallas getting ready for two days of college tours (14 hour days!) and feeling tired. A good tired. But tired. I'm excited to sleep in until 6:15 tomorrow!!! And I'm excited to give my body a day of rest from working out. Our ride on Parmer today took it out of me...and I was even 9 miles shy of doing the entire 80 miles since I had to catch a plane to Dallas and given the windy conditions, my speed was not exactly what I wanted it to be. Windy, windy, windy. Cold, cold, cold. Not as bad as the last time we did this ride because the sun was out, but I still never felt my toes. (I think this is linked to bad circulation, too!)Kept Blythe, Jim, Celine, and Brittany in sight most of the time...this is exciting for me! And then did the return route by myself since I had to go back early. Finished off the ride with some extra 360 and Lost Creek hills - do those hills in Lost Creek count for the 9 miles I didn't have time for?! The 360 hills have their own story. I was actually feeling pretty good on them today. Passed these two guys who then passed me. And then I passed them again. And then one of them passed me and the other caught up to me. As he rode alongside me he said, "Hey, I just won some money because of you." I must have looked confused because he went on. "My buddy up there always gives me a hard time about being so slow and he said that he bet me that I couldn't pass you going up that hill." I laughed and said that I could have saved them both some money as I could have told him that he could pass me on that hill. And then I said something about how it didn't really matter how fast we were going but that we were even out here. And then we were quiet.
And in the quiet I got sort of miffed. Not in a serious way but in a "ha, I'll show you" way...so I left the guy behind me and tried to see if I could pass his friend who was a bit ahead of me headed up the hill right before Bee Caves.
With each pedal cycle I got closer and I kept trying to come up with some clever line to toss his way if I were able to pass him. I did pass him. I never thought of anything to say. Maybe because I was out of breath...maybe because I was afraid he might not get my sense of humor. At any rate, it made me tackle that last hill faster than I wanted to so that was a good thing. Bottom line: I will ride faster if you tell me that you've won a $1 bet on me basically suggesting that I'm the slowest thing on the road!!!
Ran home to shower and head to the airport to catch my plane to Dallas and catch a good nap on the plane...or so I thought. Met up with two colleagues who wanted to chat on the plane and even though I tried to fall asleep it just didn't happen. But it will happen here in a few minutes!
(Oh, and I think that next time I need to tell the guy who placed the bet on me that he has to return the money to his friend if he gets passed by the super slow girl on the road that he staged the bet around!)
No comments:
Post a Comment