Monday, March 30, 2009

good advice

I'm always ready to soak up wisdom from those around me. Got a few particularly helpful pieces of advice this weekend...
1 - from Jess about endurance sports in general: it is not who is the fastest it is who slows down the least! Yes! Something to be said for consistency and just plugging away...might be a specialty of mine.
2 - from Logan when I commented on how I felt better this past weekend than the weekend before (something that was sort of a mystery to me since the weekend before had shorter distances...maybe the brick did me in? umm...on to the advice, ETG): don't try to figure it out, just take it all as it comes, one workout at a time. Yes, yes...especially in this training, you just have to go with what you have at the time. Dig deep. Give it your all. Some days against all pieces of reason, you just don't have it in you. And other days, against all odds, you have more in you than you think you do.
3 - (technically from last week) from Don when I was talking about how I was trying to change some things up with my swim stroke...just feel the water, the speed with follow. Don is the metronome of our swim lane. Pacer extraordinaire. Consistent. Wise. Encouraging. I have a lot to learn from him! P.S. Mo did say I was catching more good water so maybe I'm getting there?!
4 - from Gran when we were talking about a friend of my mom who Gran has been particularly generous to with her time and listening ear...even when you don't have anything else to give, you can give someone your time or you can just listen to them. No wonder Gran has so many admirers...
On the training front, yoga was just what these muscles needed this morning...and surprisingly, I had a great run tonight. Okay, "great" is relative. Mentally it was great because I was out there doing it and felt good about it - more emotionally energized at the end than at the beginning. It wasn't fast (hills + ETG are never very fast!) but we did the long loop-short loop partner (yeah, Amy!) stuff in the Possum Trot area and I was impressed by what my legs still had in them. But only for the four sets + 1 set of backward stuff and then...the legs were done. Monday and Tuesday should be full workout days and then I start enjoying a more "recovery" type week Wednesday through Saturday before the Lonestar 1/2 Ironman in Galveston on Sunday. It's crazy to me that this "training day with lots of people cheering for us and support along the way and race numbers which makes it like a race except it's just another weekend of training for us CDA folks" (yes, this is how I look at it so I don't get anxious about racing...I'm not in racing mode yet!) is the same length as my "A" race last year?! What's gotten into me?!

No comments: