Tuesday, March 17, 2009

laughter is the best medicine...

...even if you're not sick! My day: FULL of laughter!
Okay, well not so much this morning at swim because I was holding on for dear life and trying not to get lapped too many times on the 600 pull. Honestly, I need a special lane all to myself for a pull that long. In my next life, I'll be able to pull faster. Okay, maybe in the next tri season I'll be able to pull faster?! Maaaaaaaybe. At any rate, I actually do laugh at myself even when that's going on because it's pretty darn funny if I let it go.
And I didn't laugh so much when I got the low-down about my car needing a new catalytic converter. I can't even really explain to you with any confidence what it does but apparently mine is not working...thus the "check engine" light. What was slightly comical (in that sick, funny way) was that apparently they are under warranty for 80,000 miles. Guess how many miles on my car? 83,000. And, yes, the 3,000 over does matter. Geez. The laughter here was probably on the part of the mechanic who a) is going to make some money off of me/my car and b) was amused at my questions about whether or not this would make my car suddenly stop on my morning commute. (The answer is "no"...at least not right away!)
When I got to work, the real laughter began. I was pretty much the only one there...remember, it IS Spring Break...so I set to finishing up at least one project. And I got a lot of it finished. But I also spent time emailing with friends early in the day, and that set off a firestorm of hysterical email exchanges. Lots of pictures, lots of "what if we" statements...we were on a roll and making one another laugh out loud wherever we were. What a great day and it was only 2:00 p.m.
At acupuncture I got to take my nap of the day...at least 45 minutes...I'm not sure because I was so "gone" that I have no idea when I fell asleep or when I woke up. I usually sleep at acupuncture and I laugh that it's the most expensive nap ever - but it's good, deep sleep. (Actually, my airplane naps are more expensive!)
Headed to the PTC still feeling a little mellow or sleepy or something and not sure of what the evening spin workout would hold but things were looking up almost immediately. Jess had saved me a trainer (thanks!) and she and I rode with Michelle and behind Carrie right in front of Logan. Everyone was sort of in a funny mood - because of St. Patrick's Day? Jess had made Carrie a sweet potato lasagna (that I ended up having for dinner - thanks again, Jess...and Carrie!) and so we were talking about that...Michelle and I discovered that Sweet Tarts might not be a bad thing to have in a Bento box for a race...Carrie went through at least three bike pumps trying to set up her bike...and that was all before class even started. When class finally started the music was good, the class was good (don't remember doing one like this before and I liked it...and I was able to hit most of the gears and cadence calls at the right time!), Logan was back in action making us all laugh as he did the class with us...yeah, I'm not really sure what it was but it was a fun, fun workout. Yes, I did work hard and all of that, too. But, as usual, I enjoyed it...and maybe just laughed a little more than usual.
One of the things that made me giggle during the spin workout was an image of me sitting on my bike eating pizza. Let me explain...
Yesterday I met with Meredith, this awesome nutritionist here in Austin who works with a lot of athletes and is an incredible athlete herself - congrats, Meredith, on your latest victory at the Coyote Two Moon Ultra in Ojai, CA. We're constantly revamping my nutrition plan because I am forever messing it up in some way. I get parts of it under control and then some other part goes completely haywire. My latest mishap...I somehow managed to miss the side note that whatever I consume in the way of calories while I'm exercising or even in my recovery drink right after exercise doesn't get counted in the day's calorie count. Oops. So here I am thinking that I'm hitting my calorie mark in a really solid way and, in fact, on some days (like our long rides and long runs) I'm super behind. AH!
So, to make a point, Meredith said, "Elizabeth, eat whatever you want on the bike...I don't care. Eat a pizza if you want...it doesn't count toward your day's calories." Well, the idea of that just makes me laugh. Sitting on my bike at the PTC with a piece of pizza...really, it's ridiculous; but I get her point.
And if all of that wasn't enough humor for the day, a few of us ended up at Carrie and Shawn's place to enjoy some of the sweet potato lasagna that Jess had made - YUMMY! - for dinner and a little hang out time. And to raise a glass of wine in honor of St. Patrick's Day...okay, it should have been beer or something, but it wasn't.
If tomorrow is even half as humorous as today my sides aren't going to get the rest they need from laughing all day. Oh, wait, they aren't going to get that rest anyway with Wednesday morning core...better go rest them up at least a little.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

I made the same mistake as you... counting the calories while working out, post workout, etc..it's so hard not to! but I trust Meredith, she's great!