Saturday, March 28, 2009

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Remember this book from your childhood? Well, I felt like that Little Engine that Could today on my 100 mile bike ride. Yes, that's right. 100 miles. It's pretty darn exciting. My first century! I was glad I told Gran to sit down before I told her as her gasp was about as loud as mine is when I'm pushing it to keep up with the super fast boys in my swim lane! (She cracks me up...she's proud of me even when she doesn't understand exactly what to be proud of! We should all be so lucky. Love you, Gran!)
Some highlights of my day (note: this ride was pretty much my day since we started around 8 a.m. and I finished some 7 hours later...I'll spare you the details of each hour and each hill!):
- the sun was out!!! This was a huge deal to me because in addition to the world just being a better place when the sun is out, it was cold (40s) and windy (there was a wind advisory: 20-30 mph winds with occasional gusts of wind up to 40 mph...good times!). But seriously, when the sun is out both the cold and wind are bearable.
- having people to ride with...not too many of us as lots of folks were riding in Salado or the Rosedale Ride or on Sunday not wanting to brave the elements today. But a small group of us gathered at Kiker and headed out for our rides. I tagged along behind Nancy, Blythe, Steve, and Tennille. Wasn't long before I was on my own but that was okay - I was expecting that and I always feel okay as long as someone knows I'm out there. Plus, I knew that soon enough the superfast boys would come up behind me. What was really nice was when Michelle W. met up with us at the gas station at 290 & Fitzhugh. She's just a tad bit faster than I am but we were able to ride the rest of the miles together - yeah!
- the smooth road right after you cross RR12...the bumpy roads that are everywhere else on this ride are a little much for 100 miles so the smooth road is such a nice treat that you feel really spoiled.
- having a tailwind some part of the time on the way home...thank God for small favors. Seriously. We needed a little break after a headwind. But we still had the crosswinds...and south MoPac treated us to some headwinds again!
- getting to the turn-around point, heading back, and finishing in about 35-40 minutes less than on the way out...love that!
- not having a flat or any other mechanical difficulties...I'm grateful for that every time I have a trouble-free, injury-free ride but especially on a day like today when we had such a long ride.
- getting back to do my south MoPac loop and discovering that Blythe had just finished hers...yeah, I'm slow but not so slow that everyone else had finished, gone home, showered, and already napping!
- finishing my ride and doing a quick 10 minute run just to see how my legs felt...better than last week, thank you?! (By the way, it's a good thing I didn't see text messages from Yvonne and Blythe about lunch plans until I finished the run...Kerbey Lane or run? Kerbey Lane or run? What would I have done?!)
- getting a note from Amy welcoming me back to my car when I finished...I smiled so big!
- votes of confidence from my teammates on the road...seeing Tennille, Blythe, Steve, Mo, Joe, Matt, Kevin, and David out there on Fitzhugh really made a difference. Thanks guys!
- our meal at Kerbey Lane after the ride...thanks for waiting for me, friends...it felt awesome to sit down, eat, and chat.
- hearing from Matt and Joe that the ride we did today was hillier than CDA - woot!
- new discoveries on my bike: I can hit 39 mph! I can also hit about 12 mph going downhill...when the wind is in my face. I realized that I'm not scared of biking anymore - yeah!
- seeing Logan out there to ride on the road again...does my heart good to see people who've been sidelined because of an injury/illness/accident/whatever be able to get back to something they love. You sure did pick a brutal day to get out there...and you rocked your 70+ miles. Running, now riding...next thing you know you'll be back in the pool! Way to go, Coach!
- calls and other messages from friends and teammates checking in on me...I hope I didn't worry you with my slowness. I was just plugging away - "the little Elizabeth that could" thinking I could! And I did. And then I felt VERY cared for. THANK YOU - you are the best!

Overall, such a great day!!! Clearly, some challenges (you didn't get the rundown of the ride which is pretty much hill after hill after hill!) but those made the whole experience even more rewarding. I think maybe days like today seal the deal that I'm a training dork...I love this stuff. And I love the fact that I will sleep so well tonight it's not even funny! Which is a good thing...20 miles to run tomorrow (another first!).

Note to self: leave the post-ride cookies with a faster rider in the future so that everyone can actually enjoy them seeing as I won't get finished until many have already left...duh! Sorry to those who missed them...there will be more!

2 comments:

Jess said...

congrats on your first 100 miler...it was so windy out there and i was just on mopac!...

some of the best advice i got about long distance events is this...it is not who is the fastest it is who slows down the least...

etg said...

Love that advice, Jess! If anything, I'm pretty darn consistent...here's hoping that will be in my favor come June 21...and on everything in between and after. Thank you for ALL of the encouragement and the great advice about everything from nutrition to clothes to training schedules - it helps me more than you probably know.