Tuesday, March 10, 2009

saved by...

...a 50. Or two lengths of a pool. Or one lap in a pool.
Yes, that is the distance that saved me from getting lapped by Stephan. On the 400 time trial this morning I knew I might be in trouble. I even considered asking Suzanne if I could switch to the empty lane to avoid getting lapped. But I thought that might be wimpy and I've been trying to hang with this faster lane in hopes of pushing myself and getting a little faster myself. So, I took a deep breath, pushed off the wall, and swam my little heart out. I didn't see Stephan closing in until the last 100 so that was encouraging. And I knew if I could hold him off for one more lap that I'd be okay because he'd be finishing! Mission accomplished...barely but no matter. Still working on my arms in swimming. Seriously, you'd think I would have figured it out by now but no such luck. They are too weak or flimsy or something...maybe I need to eat more spinach and become strong like Pop-eye! Anyway, Suzanne calls them T-Rex arms because they look really little and ineffective in the water. I think a video of my swimming is in my future so I can see what I'm doing wrong in hopes of correcting it. I'll get there!
Work was busy but good today...got to teach my 9th grade service learning class which I love. Got to brag about some of my students when I talked to college admissions officers - always a pleasure. And am having one of those weeks where I just feel productive. Mostly because my "to do" list is incredibly long and I'm actually getting to cross some items off - ah, the pressure to put some completion to things before Spring Break.
Then it was off to spin class with Chrissie at the PTC. It was CROWDED tonight. Seriously crowded. I think Suzanne counted 48 people or something. There's a certain good energy to having that many people and I think we all fed off of one another tonight. Lots of friendly faces. Lots of people pushing me to go faster - I was surrounded by fast folks! And I actually kept up better than I thought I would. (Oh, I failed to mention when I was writing about swimming that I did not get my wish for no fins...sorry if my hamstrings screaming woke you up this morning as we did a 600 with fins!) After class Erin, Priscilla, and I headed out for our brick. 30 minutes of running after 1+ hour of tough cycling. This is good stuff. Felt pretty good actually. And kept on through 15, 20, and 30 minutes.
Finished it all off with a little calf massage from Katie Cully from Performance Wellness. She and Michelle came by the PTC to help us out. Wow did I need it. But I'll be back at Performance Wellness for a complete massage next week. I'm overdue and now that we're in week 9 of IM training I need to be better about that.
So, there it is - my day. A good day. And, as Erin said, "It feels like we're really in Ironman training now!" I agree. Not sure why it suddenly feels that way. It's not like I've been slacking up until now. Maybe it's the "Strength and Intensity" phase that we've just entered?! That makes me laugh. Sounds like a way to describe coffee - "strong and intense" flavor. Anyway, I'm still a happy IM training camper.
P.S. That water bottle that the man on the corner didn't want on Sunday was well-received by a woman today...her smile made my day. Yeah. It was worth waiting for someone who would appreciate it.

No comments: