Wednesday, March 4, 2009

(re)learn something (new) every day

today's learnings...or re-learnings:
1. sometimes the reminder of how lucky you are to have the friends you do is both heartwarming and overwhelming...what did I ever do to deserve all of this kindness and love?
2. if they can't read your parking ticket at Austin Bergstrom Airport they will use your license plate number to figure out what time and date you entered and calculate the fee from that
3. having a "deep" conversation with an 18 year-old is a pretty precious thing...I'm lucky to have the job that I have
4. it is possible for me to do a set of mile repeats and not completely obsess about my times! (I actually think I owe this to Blythe but maybe my next lesson is to learn it for myself...thanks for the great workout, Blythe!)
5. looking down on a sunrise from a plane is a pretty spectacular sight and a wonderful way to start the day (there's got to be a perk to a 6:10 a.m. flight, right?)
6. "there's no place like home"...and it's nice to be home again...both in the concrete and abstract sense
7. our bodies are incredible...they get hurt/sick...they heal/get well (even if it takes a while)...they put up with way more than they probably ought to from us...and they help us achieve more than we probably ever thought we could
8. hearing Gran say, "Hi, love" whenever I call is just about one of the sweetest sounds I can imagine
9. I am easily amused...delighted by the most simple things...quick to smile and slow to anger...forever a believer in the goodness of mankind and in people's capacity for change...an optimist...always trying to make sense of the world...usually falling short of understanding and then reminded that's what faith is for
10. adrenalin is an amazing thing...it can carry you for a long time when you haven't had enough sleep. But eventually it runs out...like right about now so off I go to get ready for tomorrow and go to bed. In my own bed. Home sweet home.

2 comments:

erin said...

welcome home, e!

Maggie said...

I love this post. thank you for sharing all these thoughts.