Wednesday, March 11, 2009

appreciation

I have a new level of respect for people who are training without teammates and coaches. I have a new respect for my teammates who can't make it to practices and have to do most of this work on their own. Seriously.
I don't think I'm totally dependent on my teammates and coaches. I like to think I have at least some self-motivation and discipline. But it sure is easier and way more enjoyable to do this work with others.
I love my teammates and coaches. I hope they already know that! I love training with other people. I love being encouraged to keep going or to go faster or to work harder because of the energy and example of my teammates. I love that they help me laugh when I'm in pain. I love that they are the final pull to get me to a practice when my legs are tired or my arms are sore or my body just aches all over. I appreciate the experience and wisdom of more seasoned teammates. I am deeply grateful for all that our coaches offer us.
So what got me thinking about all of this today?
Well, as I watched the minutes ticking away past 6:00 p.m. and I was still sitting in our faculty meeting and not standing at O'Henry for track practice, I realized that rely on my teammates and coaches way more than they might ever know.
At 6:20, I was having one of those moments of self-talk which was not being helped by a colleague of mine who jokingly said, "You're really going to run in this...you hate running in the rain." I responded, "It's not really raining...it's just a heavy mist. And it's not that I mind getting caught in the rain, I just hate starting a run when it's raining. If it starts raining once I've already started... Whatever. I have a workout to do!" I said all of that pretty confidently, opened the door and was hit with a blast of cold air and that mist I had referred to. Brr....and damp....I was shivering already. But through my office, out to my car, and over to the track I went. I knew my teammates were halfway through their workout at O'Henry. I knew that I'd told Blythe that I'd be doing the workout on my own. Logan had already spent time giving me the workout. All of these thoughts helped motivate me out of the car and onto the track.
And, the workout was 2 minute madness...which I LOVE! But it's tougher to love it when you're by yourself on a track. And the mist is turning into rain. And it's cold even though it was 87 yesterday. And even the longer daylight hours (as of Sunday) are fading away. But the workout wasn't going away while I stood there so I started up (after the lax boys left the field...no need to startle them by the sight of me running!).
Warm-up
1st repeat - okay, not so bad.
2nd repeat - why does this one feel so much worse than the first?
3rd repeat - after I do this one I'll only have two more to go (yes, this is how my mind thinks!) 4th repeat - only 6 more minutes of running after this one!
5th repeat - nothing to hold back for...gosh, I hope my teammates only had to do 5 sets!
Cool down
Phew...done...time to get warm and dry. Time to stand in awe of some of my teammates and other athletes in the world who do workouts like this, in conditions like tonight by themselves all the time. Hats off to them...and a big shout out to my teammates and coaches who let me tag along on this journey with them as they inspire me.
Oh...one perk to doing a track workout by yourself on a track that is completely empty...you can be a total rebel at the end and do your cool-down laps counter clockwise:)

No comments: