Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spring Change-of-Pace

I decided today that I needed to call this week "Spring Change-of-Pace" rather than "Spring Break". Or maybe I should call it "Spring Break-from-the-usual-routine".
I told myself at the beginning of the week that I would work Monday through Wednesday but not Thursday or Friday. Things were not looking good for this plan given the amount of work I took home with me at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday. So...I decided that rather than feel bad about failing to really take a break from work, I would think of the week as a change of pace. And it certainly has been that - and it's been wonderful!
I've had flexibility with my schedule. I've spent time with friends and even mobile officed this morning with Erin. I've run errands during the middle of the day, in the middle of the week. And I've gotten to spend my hours at work in comfy clothes, able to work without interruptions, and starting to chip away at some big projects and even finish others. I've done a few workouts at different times (Lost Creek pool is beautiful at night, by the way) and enjoyed not having to rush around. I haven't taken as many naps as I wanted to, but I feel oddly refreshed merely from the change of pace. And maybe that's the trick - if we can figure out how to renew without having to take a total break from everything we do because I'm just not sure how realistic it is to expect to get a real "Spring Break"!
P.S. For anyone who loves spring...get excited...it officially begins tomorrow (3/20)! Not that it hasn't felt like spring in Austin for a while now!!!

No comments: