Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July!


Another Independence Day on the books...and really, what's not to love about the 4th of July? Celebrating our independence and freedom as citizens of the United States - this always means more to me when I think about other people in other countries and how their freedoms are limited. Celebrations usually involve friends, family, hot dogs on a grill or bbq (my choice this year!), watermelon, fireworks...general goodness. The weather is usually hot but somehow I'm rarely where it's raining...and the heat just makes the cool beverages taste all the better!
I have great memories of July 4th celebrations. I spent most of mine at camp in Tennessee (headed back there this weekend for a reunion...awesome!). We would start the day with some marching formation at flag line. I know, I know...bizarre. And it was. Looking back on this it just makes me laugh. What were we thinking?! We would then be chosen for a team. You were either a red, a white, a blue, or an "and". I always wanted to be an "and" because you got to wear red, white, AND blue. No such luck. Was a red for the majority of my years at camp...a blue a couple of times...and a white once. Anyway, each team competed in a crazy relay that took you all over camp from the archery range to the stables to the tennis courts to the woodshed to the canoe dock to the church to the dam to the swim area through craft park and finally back to the flagpole where the victor raised her team's "flag" (or a piece of some article of clothing of the appropriate color) up the flagpole first. The reward - King Leo candy! Peppermint, lemon, and vanilla candy sticks were always a hit. The clove flavor didn't go over so well one year! The day at camp always ended with fireworks over the lake...very cool.
This year I started my 4th of July with a ride out 360 to Parmer. Even though Liz, Blythe, and I didn't break any speed records, we had a great ride! Nice to know that my legs can still do the 360 hills (the "triple bypass" as Laura calls it!)...and they don't seem that bad compared to CDA. Did I just say that?!
Evening fun at the Salt Lick for some family-style bbq. This is just good stuff. With good people and friends...Laura, her friend Graham, Yvonne, Matt, Amanda, Gordon, Blythe, Joe, and Logan. And then some time on the Wii. Oh my gosh! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time...what a great memory of the 4th of July!

No comments: