Wednesday, July 8, 2009

happy birthday, Gran!

My Gran turns 92 today. 92. WOW! That's an accomplishment, folks! We had a HUGE bash for her when she turned 80 because she'd just survived emergency open heart surgery only days after returning from a trip to Hong Kong. Let's not even think about what might have happened had she collapsed on the plane...clearly Gran was meant to be with us longer! Then we celebrated her with an ENORMOUS celebration when she turned 90 because, well, let's face it - how many 90 year olds do you know? And 90 year olds who've survived Hurricane Katrina. Right. It's another huge milestone. And today she's still kicking, still quizzing me on Michael Jackson's funeral, still learning the ins and outs of an Ironman, still emailing, but most of all still loving all of us. Without a moment's hesitation, I will say that I hope to be like Gran when I grow up. She's a survivor. Lasting many more years than she predicted when Granddaddy passed away (when I was in 8th grade). Watching both of her children battle cancer. Supporting her grandchildren as we make foolish mistakes. Loving us with both a tender heart and a stern word. Nurturing friendships across generations and being loved by everyone. She believes in giving people second (and third and fourth) chances but she doesn't let you off the hook entirely. She seems to have mastered holding people accountable and forgiving and loving them at the same time. She's the one people turn to when they want to hear the truth. And what many people don't know is that as soon as she hangs up the phone with you, having been direct and honest, if her heart is breaking for you then she will cry for you, too. Sometimes she cries with me on the phone. And that's when my heart gets to break for her. But we always seem to comfort one another through the tears or the joy.
Her "hi love" when I call can brighten up even the darkest day for me. Getting an email from her is always a joy - especially when it goes on for a page and ends with "no news here"! And the way that she's always looking for ways to support us warms my heart.
I'm not sure why Gran and I have the relationship we do. It is as if God knew that I was going to need some stability in my life amidst a tricky divorce as an only child and poof...GRAN! I grew up going to her house every day after school when I lived in New Orleans and we always joke that I knew the rules of her house from such a young age that I never questioned them. And my mom certainly kept us in touch by calling Gran frequently when I was a little girl so that I was always comfortable talking to her. As I grew up, we discovered that we had a lot in common...that classic "skip a generation" bond between grandchildren and their grandparents. Whatever the reason, Gran has been my rock. We talk almost daily and as she wrote to me recently, "Love you. Enjoy our chats so much. Wish all grandmothers had such a relationship with their granddaughters. Some things money can't buy - and we have that." Amen.
So today...here's to you, Gran - "if I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more." (Jane Austen) I will never know what I did to deserve you. I will always be grateful for you in my life. Much of who I am I owe to you. The way I try to love others is modeled after the way you've loved all of us.
Happy birthday and many happy returns!
P.S. Happy birthday to Dodd, too! He and Gran are birthday buddies!!

2 comments:

Amy H. said...

YEA!!!! Happy Birthday Gran. I love hearing about you from ETG and I can say without hesitation that I too want to be like you when I get older. Wishing you many happy years to come.

Yvonne said...

That is beautiful ETG, it makes me smile. Happy Birthday Gran!