Thursday, July 2, 2009

when the weather stays hot...

....snow cones seem to be one way to stay cool in Austin, Texas!!
I've long been a fan of Sno Beach and I think Amy and I are currently on a personal mission to see just how many snow cones a girl can eat in a summer. We might even branch out and try new flavors sometime soon!
But today Malia and her girls and I went to Jim Jim's - which is actually "water ice" and not a snow cone. I think that's a bad name for it because it is way more than "water ice"! It is a delicious concoction of very fine ice mixed with real fruit. Oh my gosh...it is incredible. Apparently, it is a favorite in Philadelphia. I know it gets hot there in the summer, folks, but really, you would think that someone in the south would have come up with this! Anyway, the flavors I can vouch for are mango berry, mango, strawberry, and strawberry lemonade. We had all of those today. I know...that's five flavors and there were only four of us. Loula (age 4) had strawberry lemonade but liked my mango so much that she had to get a small little cup of it. Bo (a little over 1 years old) thoroughly enjoyed hers...as evidenced by strawberry stains all over her white shirt. And Malia and I just sat and laughed and got cooled off by ours. Good find!!! And certainly a highlight of my day to spend time with Malia and her precious girls. Really, what is sweeter than a little kid sitting in your lap eating some water ice?! Bo and Loula made my day with their big smiles and hugs...lucky me to spend time with them.
Malia asked me which I liked better Sno Beach or Jim Jim's...really, this is an unfair question! But I think they are just different. Both cool and refreshing and sweet and delicious...just different.
I'm now a fan of both...got any other snow cone spots we need to try out this summer?

No comments: