For weeks now, Gabe and Alfred have been wearing boots around campus. As you know, we've just recently had any significant rain in Austin in a long time so I knew they weren't wearing their galoshes to keep their socks dry. Nope...they are wearing them because evidently one too many snakes has been spotted on our campus. Hence...snake boots. Every time I see Alfred and Gabe I check in with them, "Any snakes today, guys?" They shake their heads and laugh at me. "No, but we're playing it safe."Reminds me of some summers at camp on the swimming dock where we seemed to have an abundance of snakes. We lived with a machete at the ready to take on whatever water snake or copperhead might come our (or our swimmers') way. I was pretty handy with a machete. Or a rake. Wonder if I should have one in my office here at school?! Or at least consider whether I need to trade in my standard summer flip-flops for something a little sturdier as I tromp through the grass over to the office on a regular basis. Nah. I think I'll just watch my step instead. Live on the edge a little. And take care not to go wading through the tall grass and dark, cool, perfect-for-a-snake-coiling-up corners that Gabe and Alfred have to deal with on a regular basis.
1 comment:
Please tell me this picture wasn't taken outside my office. :)
Post a Comment