Friday, July 10, 2009

what's in a name?

I'm being pleasantly reminded as I head to camp that very few of us really went by our real names at camp. Kathy quickly became K. Falk. Marion became Mern (a name she ALWAYS hated...sorry, Mern!). With two Christas we called them by their last names - Furtsch and Stumpf (or Stumpfy or Stumpfhead). Somehow Isla kept her real name...maybe it was creative enough already? Susan was "whittlin' Sue" or Sue Canoe.
And true to form, I had a number of names. (I think this happens naturally when you have a long name!)
E...Juice...E. Guice...and last, but not least, Terry's daughter (mom ran...and still runs...the water front at camp so everyone knew me in connection with her. Meant I had to keep my nose clean as a camper!)
Those were the main ones. Many of which are still used today by people from other times and places in my life and that always makes me smile. Of course, people now have other nicknames for me and I have to say, I love them all. Whether they make sense or not. They make me smile.
So, what's in a name? A lot of memories and personal connections with others for me.

No comments: