Tonight I was a walker. This morning I was a swimmer. Yesterday I was a runner and a corer (I think I just made up that word if you apply it to a person and not an apple corer). Tuesday I was a swimmer and a spinner. And Monday I was a yogi and a runner.I have a whole new plan for the next 6 months or so until IM training begins in January. And in a funny way, this classic "loves a schedule, can do the same thing day in and day out, can eat the same thing each day" girl is excited about the fact that each week there is going to be a different training focus. One week it's running...the next it's swimming...and the next it's cycling...and right back around to running. Doesn't mean that I neglect the other disciplines. And I always do core (sometimes twice a week + lat pulls...argh...they have currently rendered my arms practically useless). But during the week there is more intensity directed at one thing over the others. Means that I won't always (be able to) go to some of my favorite practices because I'm also working in more rest so that I can really give it my all during the focus sessions. New, clean gears. What could be better, right? Well, I'm actually a little uneasy because I'm not always good at change.
Honestly, this all feels a little odd. And a little creaky right now as I begin to plan it out on the calendar because I don't know how it all fits together yet. Nor do I know how it all fits in with school/work...but I'll figure that out in less than a month - yikes. It's new. It's different. That's good. And scary. But what change isn't? Doesn't mean we shouldn't change, just means we have to let ourselves get used to it. Soon enough I'm sure this will feel like a well-oiled machine and all parts will be moving together nicely. For now, it feels like a brand new bike that I need to figure out the gears for and get used to. Might need a few adjustments along the way. But eventually, it will feel like I've been riding it all of my life. Or so I can hope. And then...another change in January! But for now, my focus this week is the present. Living into this new routine. Not comparing it to the past or what changes will have to be made for the future.
It's good for me. I know this. (Doesn't mean it makes it easier!) Change keeps me flexible (along with the yoga). Change keeps me on my toes. Changes in one area of my life makes me more able to adapt to changes in other areas of my life. Ultimately, I think that makes me a better, stronger person - certainly a better person to be around! (Trying not to be a stick in the mud when it comes to my schedule!)
Ahhhh...more life lessons through training. This time through shifting gears. Did anyone tell me that the emotional/mental part of training was going to be so exhausting?! But that good kind of "flop into bed because you simply can't stand any longer" exhausting. And, again, just gotta go through it.
No comments:
Post a Comment