Friday, January 16, 2009

INFJ

Maybe this is the week of offering little insights about me through my blog? (It seems that way as I look back at my postings!)
Anyway, I started thinking about my personality type this week after I met a new T3er whom I introduced myself to and we were exchanging "feeling new to the group" stories. She's super nice - every T3er reading this make a point to meet J.R.! - but we're both sort of shy. And somehow that brought us to a conversation about our personality types. I feel like mine came through loud and clear this week (for good or ill) in different occasions!
I'm an INFJ - introverted, intuitive, feeling, judging (that last part isn't as negative as I always think it sounds...the "J" is all about having things in order and being systematic, etc... not about judging others!) Anyway, here's the scoop about INFJs:
- also known as the "Protector" we're natural nurturers, patient, and devoted (check - so, yeah, I come by some of this stuff naturally...and maybe sometimes I live into it a little too much? I sometimes worry about that.)
- gentle, caring, complex, highly intuitive, warm, strive for peace, derive satisfaction from helping others, somewhat easy going (note: it says "somewhat" for the easy going!)
- only 1% of the population has the INFJ personality (yeah, maybe I am that freak of nature I said I wasn't in an earlier blog?!)
- INFJs place importance on having things in order...put a lot of energy into creating systems for getting things done (hmmm...my desk is not reflecting my INFJ-ness right now!)
- often know things intuitively without being able to pinpoint why (ah, yes...feeling those "gut" instincts)
- concerned for people's feelings (check)
- perfectionist who doubts that s/he is living up to her/his potential; high expectations for themselves (check again - I'm my own worst critic)
- believe in constant growth (check - hate the thought that I'm "done" with becoming who I'm supposed to be)
- strong value systems (I think so...)
- natural affinity for art (hmmm...not this INFJ), often good in science (again...not this INFJ unless it's science in the kitchen!)
- self-expression comes more naturally on paper (check - yes!!! see one of my first blogs!)
- often found in service-oriented professions (check - I guess you could call teaching and college counseling "service-oriented")
- not good at dealing with very detailed tasks (can't fit every part of the description...I am actually decent/good at this!)
- avoids conflict (check - yes...I'm more prone to try to please people)
- doers as well as dreamers (I sort of love this...I think it means I dream but then I set about making my dreams happen!!)
(descriptions found at http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html and http://typelogic.com/infj.html)

You might be thinking, "Well, this explains a lot!" And maybe it does. It's certainly not the final word on my personality but every once in a while when I do something and think, "Where did that come from?" and I take a look here it usually makes more sense. I've come to learn that being introverted doesn't mean I'm a recluse; it just means I "recharge my batteries" by myself. (Apparently INFJs are sometimes mistaken for extroverts b/c we're often reaching out to others to care for them...interesting!) And being intuitive doesn't mean that I never check the facts; it just means at the end of the day I'm probably going to make a heart/gut-driven decision rather than a head-driven decision. Being almost 100% feeling rather than thinking doesn't mean that I don't think; it just means that I'm often extroverted with my feelings...those of you who spend time with me know what I mean. (Sometimes I can't hold back my feelings of gratitude or excitement or concern. Sorry, I hope you know that I mean well!) And the judging means I like closure and structure and that I'm usually good at making plans and following through.

So, there I am...in some way. A "confidant", a "counselor idealist", a "mystic", a "solitary walker", a "campaigner", "quietly forceful", "sensitive" (or some of those things - not sure what all of them mean!)...me. A few years ago when we took these tests at school my students said, "You didn't have to take the test; we could have told you all of this." Guess that either means I'm really an INFJ or I'm just living into who I am?! Who knows but there it is. Another little window into my world - or at least my personality.

What's your personality type? Go to http://typelogic.com/ Have fun with it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm an INTJ. Never sure how much I buy in to this

etg said...

I agree, Gordon...I don't buy into it 100% but it is interesting to think about - and recognize the parts of it that ring true!