Sunday, January 25, 2009

accreditation visits...a new endurance sport?

Seriously, you NEED to be an endurance athlete for one of these accreditation visits! Basically, I'm on a team of 20 folks from schools in Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma with a task to help another school evaluate where it is, how it's doing, if it's living up to its mission, etc...
Here's our schedule tomorrow (and the next day and until noon on Wednesday):
7:15 a.m. board the bus to Parish Episcopal School...
all day we meet with students and administrators and teachers...we try to eat somewhere in all of this craziness...and touch base with our jobs back home and family and friends
5:00 p.m. we return to the hotel...
5:45 p.m. we meet to go to dinner...
return to the hotel after dinner...
9:30 p.m. last meeting ends...
Or at least that's the projected schedule. Luckily, I've worked with our committee leader before and I know he's incredibly respectful of our time and will let us out early if we are finished. Thank goodness!
I'll try to squeeze in an early a.m. workout at least one of these days - although I think I'll use one as a day off this week...probably on Monday seeing as I don't imagine going to bed much before midnight or 1 a.m. given some extra work I have to do! On Monday night, I'll already be settled in my hotel room and even though there will be extra report writing to do, I can imagine getting to bed earlier.
Sleep is something I'm really going to try to work on from here on out. (Funny that I chose this week when our training hours increase from 9-10.5 to do that and as I'm starting off with an odd schedule being here in Dallas. But I'm going to make it work! I know I'm not getting enough of it to keep up training at this pace...and a couple of posts from fellow T3ers this past week made me want to re-commit to my goal of ample rest. On that note, I just set my alarm for an hour later so that I can sleep a tad extra on Monday!)
Anyway, as this week winds down, it's tough to believe that we're three weeks into CDA training. In some ways, the rhythm has developed in such a way that I feel like I've been doing it for much longer. In other ways, I'm still figuring my way around it all. But I'm feeling good. My mom keeps asking if I'm sore - it's so cute. Sure, from time to time some part of me aches - my arms after 100 x 100s or my legs after a tough workout, but over all, I'm feeling good and a little stronger. I had a solid 14 mile run this morning...have only run that far once in my life (last year in Longhorn training when we did a 15 mile run) so that's exciting! I'm SUPER thankful that Jess and Erin met me early so I could get the run in and still make it to Dallas for my 3:00 p.m. meeting. (Which I was actually 10 minutes late for because the directions the hotel gave me sent me on a wild goose chase for a road that is not marked at all that I was supposed to turn on! Adventures with ETG in Dallas...unfortunately, it's a "same song, second verse" deal.)
Looking forward to the next couple of days because the work is good, but also looking forward to coming back home on Wednesday. (On that note, please keep your fingers crossed that there's not ice in Dallas on Tuesday/Wednesday...I'd be so sad to get stuck here!)

1 comment:

erin said...

if you get stuck, you can hang out with my folks. they are cool! ;) have a good trip, E!