Saturday, January 10, 2009

what a day!


I want to write about the wind and the way that it felt when I rode directly into it (like a wall) or when it slapped me from the side (and nearly shoved me off the road)...I want to write about how cool it feels to finish a ride like the one we did today...I want to make note of all of those things, but I feel like I can't begin without saying a word about how our ride began.
A large group of us T3 folks (and others) gathered at Kiker to do a memorial ride for Erin Lahr our teammate who passed away suddenly during the White Rock Marathon Dallas in December. Her husband, Jeff, and her mom were at the ride and Jeff even spoke before we took off. As he said, "Ride the first loop in silence like I think you are going to and then start cracking jokes because that's what Erin would want." I can only imagine how he's keeping it all together; he seems to be holding up okay but I'm sure he has moments of just wanting to join her. I was moved by the number of folks who did that South MoPac loop with us and then went home - the ones who didn't need to do the rest of the 40 miles with us, the ones who made the effort to be there simply to honor Erin. People who knew her well and many of us who were looking forward to getting to know her better. All there to show our support as a team. Erin, I hope that you're looking down on all of us and smiling as we try to carry on with your passion for life!
The wind was already strong (oddly, the White Rock marathon course is notoriously windy, too) when we started for the Valero in Kyle, but the sun was out and I was actually feeling ready to go. (FYI - my love for the bike has not yet turned the same corner as my love for running has...but today might be the beginning of my really enjoying myself on the bike. And if I could do that today, then small miracles might be happening!) The 17mph and under pace group (yep, that's me!) set out with a few others in tow. They were faster than we are but were looking for an easier ride...or so they said. I don't think the ride was easy for anyone! The wind was crazy strong and totally unpredictable. For part of the ride it was at our back (I think I nearly hit 30mph or even a little faster), and then for other parts of the ride it was in our face (FYI - I only go about 9mph when I'm riding directly into the sort of wind we had today!) or coming at us from the side. My body is a little achy in all sorts of weird places from trying to steady myself for 3 hours. But the sun was out and I actually had a really good ride. I felt strong (as strong as possible in the wind); I spent some time with a small group and some time by myself (I think this is good training for CDA); and I felt like I had really accomplished something at the end of it all.
Got a few errands done after the ride (including snagging some awesome Craft gear at the PTC for incredibly low prices...yes, I love a good deal/bargain!) and then headed home thinking I was going to nap but it was nearly 5:00 p.m. which is a terrible nap time! Instead, I ended up eating dinner early and will finish up thank-you notes tonight and then hit the sack early...it's stayed cold here all day and I have warm sheets about to come out of the dryer. I think when they do, I might take advantage of crawling right in them, get a good night's sleep, and be ready to run tomorrow morning. 9 miles...which I have not done since November! Let's hope for a tailwind!

2 comments:

reyacono said...

It sounds like your cycling is turning that corner -- two or three years ago, a ride like that would have been traumatizing (I can think a specific one, in fact...).

Have fun on your run tomorrow!

~Rebecca~

erin said...

I was thinking that same thing about the wind at White Rock. Eerie, but very moving.