"Showing up" and "s'mores" are only related in a very loose way in my mind right now but I wanted to write about both things. One is a thought I've been having for a while about the importance of just showing up. Whether it be for a workout (that you might not really feel up to) or someone's performance or game. It might be showing up at a funeral or by someone's bedside. It might be showing up for a wedding or birthday party. Or it might be showing up in a less concrete way...to listen, to help, to love, to your life. Anyway, I'm a big believer that "showing up" in life is key. It's not the whole ticket but it sure is a HUGE part of it.Now on to the s'mores...no campfires happening around here any time soon (burn for Travis County and most of central Texas right now) so I had to be creative about how to use the large supply of graham crackers from the sr. campout last fall that found their way to my office. So I decided that on a chilly winter morning in Texas (yes, the mornings have been chilly even if the afternoon temps near 80!), I would teach my advisees an essential skill for college: s'mores making in a microwave. It was hysterical. My seniors acted like they were back in 1st grade they were so giddy about the prospect...and then they got as messy as 1st graders devouring their gooey creations. They made me smile - as they so often do. And while they might not know how to do their laundry when they get to college, they will know how to make s'mores...and if you show up with s'mores the day can't help but get better!
No comments:
Post a Comment