Sunday, January 18, 2009

waterlogged

After cranking out 10,200 meters (including the warm-up and cool-down...you bet I'm counting EVERYTHING we did today) in 3 hours and 10 minutes or something like that, I am a walking stick of chlorine finally seeing non-pruned hands and feet and still hoping that the goggle marks will eventually go away.
But I'm a really happy waterlogged water baby.
My swim this morning was an accomplishment. I have to remember that. I did it last year, too, so I almost wrote it off today as "just another workout" but it was more than that.
It was a test of endurance. It was a test of patience - both with myself and with others. And it was good training for the Ironman. It's a much longer distance than we'll swim at CDA, but it wasn't in open water either - although sometimes the waves from having so many people in the pool felt a little like being in open water. It was good mental training to focus on what I was doing and not get flustered by others around me. As Joe said at one point, "Don't listen to that...it's bad karma. We don't need it!" He was right. So I went to my happy swimming place and rather enjoyed myself even when I was getting only 5 seconds of rest between 100s because our interval had suddenly dropped by 5 seconds. No worries, Blythe and I just kept right on swimming and pulling and kicking. All the way to our pancakes at the end of the swim...funny how the smell of maple syrup will get you kicking faster on that last 100! Or maybe it was Chrissie saying, "Okay, go 100% on this one. I mean, why not, it's your last one?" Ummm...because my arms are about to fall off is why not. Just kidding - I'm always grateful to be pushed that extra mile by my coaches even when I don't think I have anything left to give. But I dug deep, found a little extra in the energy tank, and gave it my all and it felt good!!!
Ready to sleep like a baby tonight. And looking forward to stretching all of the swimming out at yoga tomorrow morning. I just hope my arms can hold me up in downward dog!

No comments: