Friday, January 9, 2009

my very full life


Just when I start to worry that my life will feel less full without my usual adrenalin rush, I'm reminded of how many things in my life add meaning to each day for me. Today was particularly full of wonderful things...each small, each precious, each connected to an individual in my life - mostly my students today. Here are the lessons I learned from them:
- embrace life: one of my students was walking around school today giving out "free hugs"...it made me smile
- dream big: one of my students completed the American Challenge with Overland Adventures last summer...she biked from Georgia to California!
- don't forget to go "home" every once in a while: over the past two days more than a handful of alums have come back to visit (does my heart good to hear about their happiness, successes, and challenges that they have overcome or are facing)
- have courage to face your fears: even when it's tough and makes you question what you are doing
- reach out for help when you need it: there are loads of people out there wanting to help you
These young adults remind me that life is full of opportunities and possibilities and that we need to embrace them...not run away from them because they look too big or too scary or possibly foolish.
They provide me such valuable lessons - the best one being that I'm very blessed indeed.

No comments: