Thursday, January 1, 2009


Yeah...2009 is here! Not that 2008 was bad, but I just have a great feeling about 2009! And it started off so well with a wonderful "what do I want to do today?" sort of freedom. Did a Bee Caves loop with Jess (no one else showed up...too cold? too hungover? whatever the reason, we had a gorgeous day to ride and we took advantage of it!) and then did a little run after (little = about 20 minutes, don't get too worried). Went to see Praveeta and start the year off in the right direction in terms of my health. And I picked up a wetsuit from her, too (thank you, Praveeta!). Which meant that I had to go swim! In Barton Springs! Happy New Year to me! Jess wanted to swim, too, and it was a good thing because I needed a pointer or two (or three or more) about wetsuit swimming but once I got in the thing and hit the water I was golden. Flying. Through the water. Dodging people (there were SO many people there it was unbelievable)...including people cannon balling off the diving board and snorklers who were too large for the bathing suits they were wearing (I'll leave that at that). Anyway, it was a blast...and there will be more wetsuit swimming ahead of me in the months to come.
Cleaned the house some. Opened mail from while I was gone and was reminded again of how very blessed I am to have so many friends in this world. And I finished off the day with a healthy, yummy meal - salmon with a sun-dried tomato, caper, and corn "relish", some broccoli, and some homemade hot cocoa (don't ask why I've decided to make my own hot chocolate these days instead of using a store bought package...I'm weird that way). And I am going to set about meeting one of my New Year's "resolutions" (also known as "changes") here real soon...
Speaking of New Year's resolutions, it might surprise some of you that I've never really been much for making them. All signs indicate that I'm 100% the type who would make them and keep them come hell or high water. And maybe that's why I've never made them. Maybe subconsciously I knew I wouldn't be flexible enough to change them if they weren't necessarily in my best interest? Maybe I could only ever think of intangible goals that were too difficult to measure? Who knows. So, in keeping my my own tradition, I'm not adopting any resolutions for 2009.
I am, however, committing to changing or adding two things to my life:
- getting more sleep
- being a more balanced person
I'm not really sure what those two things will look like, but I have to believe they'll contribute to my overall wellness, to my training, and to my relationships. And isn't that what New Year's resolutions are supposed to do? Improve your life in some way. Improve the lives of those around you in some way. Help you be a happier or healthier or better person...or something? Anyway, I'm hoping these two things will help me live an even more fulfilling, wonderful, giving life...that I will be a better daughter and granddaughter and friend and co-worker and counselor. (Some of y'all who read this can keep me in check!) And on that note, I'm headed to bed soon. Welcome, 2009...I'm excited to see what you have in store...may I have the courage and wisdom to accept it all with an open heart.

No comments: