Saturday, March 21, 2009

bricks...steel...rebar...career change?

Don't worry...I'm not changing careers and going into construction as my posts about steel, rebar, and now brick might suggest! While I'm actually quite handy with a number of tools (thank you, Dad, who gave me a fully stocked toolbox when I turned 25) and have even helped re-shingle a house and know how to mix cement not using a cement mixer, for the sake of all building standards you probably really don't want someone as spatially challenged as I am doing any major construction!
Today's post is really all about my training day. I haven't done one of these posts in a while so if you're not interested in triathlons or my current training, check back in with me tomorrow.
Our task today: 80 mile ride + a 50 minute run...affectionately known as a "brick". As I sit here writing about bricks, I have to admit that I'm not sure where that term originated or what it's official definition is. But I'm guessing it has something to do with either: a) the fact that you are layering one discipline on top of the other...sort of like building a brick wall OR b) the reality that your legs feel like bricks when you get off the bike and begin to run! Either way, it's something that all triathletes need to practice from time to time because on race day, you have your ultimate brick.
A lot of us T3ers ventured out to the Spirit Reins Ranch today for their 5th Spokes 'N Spurs ride. It was supposed to be last weekend but the rainy weather made for poor road conditions so the ride was delayed. Anyway, it was absolutely perfect weather today! Cool-ish morning (but only needed arm warmers...and only for the first loop) that became a wonderfully sunny day. (Yes, I did wear sunscreen although you can still tell exactly where my jersey sleeves end and where my watch and where my Erin Lahr bracelet sat on my arms...oops.) We did the 44-mile loop twice and I was pretty much by myself the whole time. Caught up with Blythe, Yvonne, Brittany, and Lindsey for a brief moment after they had stopped at a rest stop but I knew better than to try to stay with them for long if I wanted to finish strong. So I dialed in and got into a groove that included the same song running through my head and a really good effort to make sure I took in my nutrition when I was supposed to. Never got the song out of my head but did a great job with my nutrition and water - thank goodness for my new aerobottle!
Anyway, the route is hilly - both the rolling hills and steeper stuff that central Texas boasts. But it is also truly beautiful, especially now with patches of bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush and some greener grass thanks to the rain. You can catch glimpses of wildlife either on the ranches or on the side of the road. It was sort of odd to have full stretches of the road to myself for pretty long chunks of the time on the second loop...I was worried that I would slow down but I kept telling myself that the CDA cut-off was nothing to mess around with and that I better see what I had in me right here and now.
I won't keep you in suspense (HA!)...here's what I had in me today.
- a split that was only 3-5 minutes (didn't turn my bike computer off immediately!) longer on the second loop than the first loop. (Nice Jim called that "smart riding"...thanks for the vote of confidence, Jim!)
- an average that is just shy of 16 mph (15.8/15.9...seriously, could I get much closer?! Next time, I'll get it!) which makes me feel better about CDA because Mo said last week that if we could average 14.5 on the CDA course then we'd make the cut-off. I know we didn't ride the CDA course today but I have to believe that if I can do this here that with the training between now and June 21 that I will be okay.
- I didn't go crazy or have too much crazy talk in my head...even being along for so long. (Confession: I finally had to sing part of that song in my head out loud - the cows turned their heads and I wanted to say, "I've heard you...your voice isn't much better!" I was hoping this would remove the song from my head...no luck.)
- and, best of all, I finished with a little bit of spunk!
Saw lots of T3ers on their runs as I was finishing up my ride. They were looking good!!! Did a quick switch of bike gear to run gear, dropped my bike off, picked up my water and was ready to run. Woo-hoo...50 minutes. Out-and-back. Chrissie suggested that we try to negative split it. Hmmm...seemed like a good idea yesterday. Today my goal was to run the entire 50 minutes. No walking. Even if my run was the speed of a walk! I ended up going a lot further than I thought which was exciting. And around minute 30, I actually fell into some sort of groove. The hills were not particularly fun and the sun was starting to get a tad warm but I didn't give myself the option of stopping. It was a "green light go" sort of run - not necessarily a "full speed ahead" run though! Ended up averaging about 10 minute miles which I would actually be THRILLED to do at CDA, even though I'm not expecting to do the marathon at quite that speedy of a pace. Anyway, I was glad to see the 50 minutes end but the truth is that if I had had to keep going, I think I could have.
Oh, wait, I get a chance to run tomorrow...never mind! Yes...tomorrow brings 17 miles on the trail. How does one go from one thing to another a friend of mine asked this afternoon? My answer: rolling, stretching, icing, recovery food, a nap, more rolling, more stretching, more icing, feet up on the couch with compression socks on (yes, it's sexy), and early to bed. I'll let you know how this plan works tomorrow...after I have accomplished two pretty big things: the longest ride of my life thus far and the longest run of my life thus far.
One more thing before I sign off. I know I've waxed on before about T3 but I have to sing the praises of my teammates again. They are a gutsy, talented, supportive, inspiring group of people. Although I didn't see a ton of them today on the course, whenever I did it made me want to be better, to ride faster, to attack the brick. I know I have all of that in me but it sure does help to have friends to encourage you along the way. Special thanks to all the IM veterans out there today who encouraged us rookies!

1 comment:

Jess said...

nice job ETG...you did great...you had a really great training day...a lot of how you felt today is a lot of how you will feel race day...you settle in to a groove...with a bad (or hopefully good)song in your head and you ride....you don't worry about what anyone else is doing because that does not matter...you just ride...then you get off the bike...hope you have a new song to sing...and you run...or you make it seem like running in your mind...and you just keep going...the miles tick by one at a time...then all of a sudden you can let yourself think about the end...the finish line...but not until that last 10k :) great job out there...