Saturday, March 14, 2009

brinner and a movie

Brinner! I love having brinner - breakfast for dinner...yum! So, I totally "chicked" out tonight...but before I get there, here's my day.
Went for a 3-hour trainer ride this morning (messy roads kept us in) at the PTC. Thank goodness for Chrissie's 2-hour workout and friends...the time actually passed pretty quickly and I didn't think that it was that bad of an experience. Maybe the only child in me is paying off...learned how to entertain myself quite well at a young age! Good catch up time with everyone at the PTC. And some yummy coffee cake from Jess, brownies from Maggie, and coffee from Booher - yeah!
Then I went to get my car looked at again... I hate "check engine" lights, by the way. They send a panic through my heart because I worry that the car is going to die at any moment. And then it doesn't and it's something like a loose gas cap or the computer needing to be re-set. That light is like the little boy who cried wolf! Anyway, I have to take it back sometime this week when the mechanics have more time to look at it. Thank goodness it's Spring Break and I have the time.
Consoled a few kiddos and parents who have heard bad news from colleges in the past two days. Kept myself relatively calm over some of the decisions. I'm a little mystified by some of them and have my work cut out for me this week to see if colleges can offer some explanations. This is a tough time of year for seniors in high school (and their parents!).
Cleaned my little apartment...so badly needed! It felt great to unpack some boxes of old pictures that my family had sent to me and finally clear that space in my living room. Dusted, mopped, scrubbed...good stuff. I will sleep better tonight and enjoy my clean house all week.
And then I had the brilliant idea of BRINNER! I had some leftover blueberries from the corn blueberry muffins I made for my T3 buddies for our spin this morning. And I knew I had a little bit of pancake mix and some turkey bacon. So I whipped up some blueberry pancakes and used up the end of the real maple syrup I had and served them up on my favorite breakfast plate - that my good friend Zap brought back to me from Italy. I love that it has a chip in it. I love that I can't microwave with it. I love that it's bright and cheery and makes me smile every time I use it.
Then, in my pajamas, I took my plate of pancakes and bacon and hopped on the couch and popped in "Stardust"....and I'm watching it right now. My sister (I know...I just said I was an only child...well, I am for my mom but I have three siblings from my dad and stepmom...but we didn't grow up together, so I play well with others and I play well alone!) has been after me to watch this for months now. Just got my hands on it so I'll have to call her tomorrow and give her my review.
All in all, a pretty wonderful first day of Spring Break (minus the sad calls from my students...it breaks my heart to hear them upset even when I know that they will have happy news around the corner and that their lives in general are incredibly fortunate and that in the long run this will just be a blip. I remember what it was like to be in high school and every little setback felt monumental. I think only time and experience teaches us otherwise. Sending big love to all of them!)

3 comments:

erin said...

please tell me you ate more than that for dinner. i mean, that looks a little like the appetizer i had tonight!

md said...

your muffins were delicious!
that was a good workout, glad we suffered through it together.

pj's and pancakes, you just can't top that!

etg said...

Not to worry, Erin...y'all didn't get pictures of my buffet of a day of eating up until dinner:) Trying to follow Meredith's plan of eating most of my calories earlier in the day! But I did have another snack before I went to bed:)